four

four; two brunettes and a braid

It's not until ten o'clock does Harry wake up. He's left alone in bed, meaning Niall has already woke up and gone off to do something. He rubs his eyes and yawns, throwing his legs off the side of the bed and slowly standing up. He wanders out of his room and into the kitchen where he sees Niall spreading butter on a piece of bread. Harry coughs softly to alert his presence without startling his friend. Niall turns around and smiles as he catches sight of Harry.

"I see you started breakfast without me." Harry commented, opening the fridge to grab the milk as he mutters something about drinking it before it goes bad.

"Ha! Hardly. You weren't kidding when you said you didn't have much. And half the stuff you do have is all organic crap. I mean the only cereal you have is like this multi-grain raisin brand and the bread is gluten free. You're not even allergic to wheat." Niall rants, stealing the glass of milk from Harry and taking a spot at the table.

Harry glares at him as he now goes back to the fridge to pour another glass of milk, "It's not crap, Niall. It's good for you. And I may not be allergic to wheat but I read somewhere that it's better to not have as much."

Niall chuckles, "You're funny, Harry."

"Wasn't trying to be." Harry mumbles, glaring at Niall as he grabs a banana to eat for breakfast, joining him at the table.

They eat in silence for the most part, besides the occasional laugh that Niall gives out as he cannot get over the fact that Harry is on some odd diet that he'll eventually quit. As they finish eating, Harry gains an idea that brings a smile to his face and confusion to Niall. He discards his banana peel into the trash bin and sprints to the hallway. As he returns, he finds Niall on the couch on his phone. He rushes to his friend and jumps onto his lap, holding out the box of dye for Niall to see.

"So I was at the store the other day and I was buying some more hair ties when I realized you haven't been brunette in ages so I was thinking that we could maybe dye your hair to match your roots?" Harry suggested, smiling his widest smile.

"How'd you even know what color I am?" Niall questioned.

"Funny story. I was looking through my photos of you to find a picture of your roots and so I was scavenging through all the brunette hair dyes and then this lady passed by so I showed her some photos of you and she said this one looked best. Apparently your shade is called acorn. So what do you say?"

"Yeah, okay." Niall agreed, resulting in Harry grinning even more and pulling him off the couch and into the bathroom.

"So I've never dyed hair before so I'm not aware of the process but I don't see how difficult it could be. You might have to guide me through it though." Harry added, opening the box as he skimmed through the instructions.

"You're lucky I dyed my hair myself when I was younger. Just make sure you wear gloves and none of the dye gets anywhere but my hair." Niall instructs.

Harry mixes the dye with the given paintbrush, concentrating as he brings the brush up to Niall's hair and begins adding the dye. It takes a couple of minutes for the Brit to become accustomed to the process but after awhile, Niall's hair is soon coated with it. Harry makes some comment about how he could become a professional hair stylist and that anyone would be lucky to hire him, Niall simply laughs and sarcastically agrees. After a good five minutes, the job is complete and now all there is left to do is wait. They idly chat as they wait for the dye to set in, Harry suggesting he paint the soon-to-be brunette's nails to pass the time, however Niall doesn't agree.

When the time finally comes to wash the dye out, Niall just decides to lean over the sink as Harry washes it out for him. However, there's a few complications and Harry is confused on whether he should put the gloves back on or just do it with his bare hands but he already threw the gloves out and he is positive he doesn't own another pair. So Harry just says-screw it, and washes it out with his hands, grimacing at the foreign feeling of the dye on Niall's hair.

Niall loudly cackles his obnoxious laugh while Harry softly mumbles obscenities. A towel is wrapped around Niall's head in hopes to quicken the drying pace. His hair is already noticeably darker, reminding Niall of how his hair was when he has much younger.

"Since we did my hair, let's do yours." Niall proposes, smirking as an idea rises to his mind.

"We're not dying it, mines all natural since birth and I don't plan on ruining it anytime soon." Harry remarks, quickly becoming defensive about his hair.

"I meant trying those funky hairstyles from Pinterest that everyone seems incapable of achieving." Niall spoke, removing his phone from his pocket and downloading the app.

Once it's loaded, he opens the app and searches hairstyles and instantly various and most likely very difficult hairstyles pop up. Returning to the search bar, he adds 'easy' and simpler looking styles now show. He clicks on a braid that seems far too complicated even though the title reads Under Five Minute Braid. Niall glances up at Harry and motions for him to turn around as he not so carefully removes the bun from his head and places the hair tie on his wrist like he's seen Harry do so many times.

The first time he attempts braiding, it fails miserably. It's extremely loose and pieces are falling out by the second, the braid itself is done incorrectly, and in general looks like a first grader did it.

The second time, he decided a simple french braid would suffice but as he's rereading the directions he become weary that he might not even be able to accomplish that. However, he discovered a video that step-by-step explained how to french braid and suddenly it didn't seem so hard, that is until he tried it.

At first, he didn't braid it tight enough since he was worried he might hurt Harry but he quickly realized that the only way for it to stay is to pull tightly. The second attempt, he accidentally left out a large chunk of hair, and by large chunk he means half of his hair. The third time is when he finally is able to accomplish the braid. That under five minute part was incorrect as it took about an hour.

"Here, let's take a picture. You're hair is dry and my hair looks semi-decent." Harry suggests as he takes out his phone.

Niall moves closer to Harry, squishing his face against his, making sure that Harry's braid was brought to the front so it was noticeable in the photo. Harry takes the photo quickly, grinning slightly as Niall opens his mouth wide to look excited. "We look cute." Harry comments as he reviews the picture. Suddenly, Harry gasps and then soon sighs, looking over to Niall.

"You know how all my photos on Instagram are black and white? Well if add the filter to the photo, you won't be able to tell that your hair was just dyed and so now I have come across a conflict. Do I make it black and white even though you won't be able to tell a difference with your hair or do I post it in color and ruin my current theme?"

"Really, Harry?"

"You're right, I should just leave it in color. Wait! Maybe I can add like a darker filter to it and make it kind of grunge-ish looking and make my theme darker." Harry quickly suggested, scrolling through the filters on the camera app and deciding on fade.

Once it's posted on Instagram, his caption is: Two brunettes and a braid. After Instagram, he retreats to Twitter and posts a link to the photo from Instagram that says, Just posted a photo.

"I don't get it, why don't you just post the photo itself on Twitter instead of a link?" Niall questions, never understanding why he did that.

"I don't really know," Harry replies. "I guess for the Instagram likes?"

"You're an idiot."