eight

✰eight; a change

Usually in the morning, the sun would peek out the windows and wash the floors in its light, however living on the second floor of an apartment complex during a blizzard has prevented that. Instead, snow covered the windows and it seems like it was at its worst. Before they went to bed, they were actually able to see outside, meaning all this snow came from the very early hours of the morning when nothing good ever happens.

Since there wasn't any natural light when Harry got up, he walked to the light switch on the wall nearest his bedroom door and flipped the switch on. He glanced back at his bed where Niall still lied asleep peacefully, just not for much longer.

Harry checked the time, making sure he wouldn't be too rude. He wouldn't want to pounce on him if was too early. The time read half past ten and Harry deemed that as late enough.

With the little energy he currently has, he uses it by leaping on the bed over to Niall's side and landing on top of his body. Niall instantly opens his eyes, alarmed. His eyes adjust to the brightness of the room, soon landing on Harry who happened to be sitting on top of him.

"I was enjoying my sleep until you ruined it." Niall muttered, rubbing his eyes.

"Yeah but what's the fun in laying unconscious for several hours at a time?" Harry questioned, still not having moved from his position.

Niall just growled in response, trying to shake Harry off of him. It was no use, Harry was comfortable where he was and Niall had no strength several seconds after waking up. Realizing he couldn't do anything, he just sighs.

"So, what are we doing today?" Niall asks, once he figured out Harry wasn't going to budge.

And just as he's about to reply, he's interrupted by abrupt darkness. The light Harry had just turned on, had gone off by itself and left them both surrounded in darkness.

Harry looked down at Niall in confusion, sliding his leg over and hopping off and onto the floor. Niall sits up in bed, watching Harry walk to the wall and flip the switch a few times before understanding that it wasn't doing anything.

"The power must be out," Harry announces.

With the newfound darkness, Harry figures they need some sort of illumination. He exits the room, leaving Niall alone as he searches through various cabinets trying to recall where he placed his candles last. He rummages through the bathroom, finding a few underneath the sink and then once he's padded into the kitchen, he finds three in random spots. Deeming five enough, he grabs the lighter from the junk drawer in his kitchen and lights all the candles, scrunching his nose in disgust as the different scents mingle together in a clashing mixture.

Harry scatters the candles throughout the apartment, trying to keep them as far away from each other as possible. Niall has now gotten up and is standing in the living room, watching Harry as he runs around in such a disordered manner. Harry pauses when he sees Niall, smiling so large that it takes up his entire face.

"What're ya smilin' at, ya goof?" Niall asks, scratching at his messy bed head.

"I don't know, really. I think it's ridiculous that the power's out and our only source of light are these candles. It's funny, you know, we get stuck together for all this time and I'm just really happy it's you that I got stuck with. I don't think I could have handled it with anyone else." Harry says.