35

W. A. S.
PART THREE
VANESSA'S POV

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*

The world went silent once that gun went off. It was almost as if we were all holding our breaths, silently praying for something to happen to steer the bullet away from its intended target. But it kept zooming through the air until it finally pierced through the thick skin that protected the growing human in Lia's stomach from the outside world.

The minute it disappeared inside her, all hell broke loose.

First Sebastian ran towards Amelia's falling body, hysterically calling her name. Next, all the lycans turned to the remaining werewolves and my family that somehow survived the bloodshed and lost any shred of humanity they had. Then Sebastian shifted and ran after the man who shot Lia, who I'm guessing was the alpha. That left me to run and try to help out my best friend.

Blood was pouring out of her stomach like a waterfall, so much that I couldn't even see the wound when I tried to stop the bleeding. I took off my sweater and began ripping it into pieces so that I could tie it around her stomach.

"Okay, this is going to hurt but bear with me okay?" I said shakily as I wiped away some of the blood and expertly wrapped the pieces of cloth around her belly tightly so that no more blood would escape.

"Vanessa?" Lia called weakly.

"Yes? What is it?"

"I-if it c-comes down to it... I w-want them t-to save the b-baby."

"No, no, no! Don't say that, you're going to be just fine, okay? You're going to be just fine, we just have to take you to the hospital and they'll patch you up and deliver this baby and everything will be fine. Everything will be fine."

"Just promise me, save the baby."

"No, you're going to be fine!" I exclaimed hysterically as tears rushed down my face.

"I didn't know dying could be so tiring." She said with a weak chuckle as her eyes began to droop.

"NO! Lia stay awake! Oh my God. Look, just stay awake, you have to stay awake for the baby okay? I gotta get you to the hospital. I ha-"

"Vanessa! Get in!" I turned around to find Callia in the car, her entire body covered in blood and dirt, but she didn't look one bit bothered by what was going on.

"I can't carry her by myself!" I cried hysterically, cursing my stupid hands that wouldn't stop shaking.

"I've got her." Joseph said, seeming to have appeared out of nowhere. He carried her into the back of the car and I got in beside her.

Joseph smiled wryly as Callia drove away from the compound.

"Why didn't he come with?" I asked through my hysteria.

"Those lycans are practically his siblings. He has to stay and help them." Callia answered casually.

"H-how are you being so casual about this?" I asked shakily as I stole a glance at Lia. She was fighting to keep her eyes open.

"Trust me, I'm losing my mind on the inside but someone has to appear calm and collected on the outside right?"

"Yeah- Lia! I know it's hard, but you gotta keep your eyes open sweetie. Keep them open okay? Please?" My voice cracked at the end but I kept talking, hoping that my voice would keep her from succumbing to the darkness of the pain.