Chapter 26

Content warning: This chapter contains scenes of violence.

I awoke Saturday morning feeling exhausted. Pi'ilani had spent almost the entire night moaning and writhing in his room. His door was closed, but his cries were loud enough to hear throughout the hallway. I could see from the faces of the others, that they hadn't been able to sleep either.

None of us had bothered to help him, or even check on him. Pi had only been here for a week, and already he had managed to earn the displeasure of most of the residents and staff in the compound. He was at least as mean as Nima had described. I, for one, hoped that we would discover his lifeless body in the morning.

Alas, I could not be so lucky. As we lined up for breakfast, he stumbled out of his room and took his place in line next to Nima and behind Blake. He looked awful, like he should have been seeking care in the lab, not coming to breakfast. But, come to breakfast he did. We each kept looking at him during the meal waiting for him to fall off of his chair.

As we were nearing the end of the meal, he did. He slid off the side of his chair, landing with a comical slump. He lay there, unconscious. I snorted. My mother gave me a cold look, before turning to Nima.

"Take him to the laboratory, please. He needs medical attention." Nima nodded and stood to gather his lifeless form. It was fortunate that she had acquired such strength, because he was a huge man. He must have been almost 220 pounds of lean muscle. Nima managed the feat, if a little awkwardly. I stood to assist, but mother shot me a look that stopped me in my tracks.

"Nima can manage, dear. Stay and finish your breakfast," she suggested in her fake, candy-apple-sweet voice. I looked over at Nima, who shook her head at me with a serious expression. I sat back down with as much ferocity as I could muster without breaking the chair. For the rest of the meal, I chewed my food with my mouth open, smacking as loudly as I could with each bite.

It was childish, but I didn't know what else to do. It was infuriating and heartbreaking to watch the woman I loved be chained to another, especially when that other was a monster.

Pi'ilani reappeared in class a few days later. His presence and participation made everyone, even the teachers, uncomfortable. Although the rest of us never completely agreed, our ideas and discussions about how we would rule were - more or less - reasonable and humane.

Pi, on the other hand, was cruel and barbaric. Nima had been spot on when she said that he was a tyrant. He wanted to rule with an iron fist. We learned to disengage from the discussion whenever he opened his loud, commanding mouth. He was persistent, however, so our strategy didn't always work.

The only time Nima and I could be together was during our morning run. That is, until Pi came out one morning to join us. And then, he joined us again the next morning, and the morning after that. He turned our morning run into an aggressive, frustrating competition. After a few days, I gave I up and relinquished my morning run ritual to him. It was meant to be a serene activity, so there was no point in continuing if he was going to keep forcing his presence on us.

Nima and I no longer had any time to share together. The only way I could escape from Pi was by hiding in my room, or in a practice room, so that's what I did for hours on end. I was relieved when the weekend came. I wouldn't be forced to be near Pi, except during mealtimes, which were mercifully silent.

After lunch on Saturday, I was in a practice room, practicing the piano when the glass door slammed open so hard, I thought it might shatter. I looked to see who the intruder was. Pi's massive form filled the doorway.

"Give me your title," he said imposingly.

"What? No! Get out, you oaf!" I replied with annoyance and incredulity. I rose from my seat and stood in front of him to prevent him from moving any father into the small room.