05. Confessions

"Eren, are you with us?" My mother asked, snapping me out of my trance like state. I nodded, smiling over to her weakly as I took a spoonful of oatmeal. I couldn't stop thinking about Armin. I couldn't stop thinking about how wrong it was of me to be thinking of another man this way. What would my mother think? She would surely disown me, cast me aside as if I was a mere piece of trash. My sister was usually supportive, but she couldn't keep her mouth shut, so there was no way I could tell her. More importantly, why did I even feel this way about a bloke? All my life I had only found girls attractive, so why do I feel so strongly about him? It must be because he looked like a girl..yeah, that was it. It must've been, it was the only obvious option. 

"Who was that blonde boy you were with all day yesterday?" My mother asked. Did she see him kiss me? I thought.

"Just a friend I made."

"His name is Armin. Eren ran into him before the boat left," Mikasa said quietly, finishing the last bite of her breakfast. I scowled at her across the table, clenching my teeth slightly. What did I say? She can't keep her mouth shut. 

"Eren, you need to start looking where you're walking. We've had this conversation before," Mother responded quietly, sighing. I stood up after being excused and made my way up to the upper decks. 

~

"Good morning, Armin," I called, noticing the familiar blonde stood where we were last night, near the railings. Unlike last night however, there were a lot more people. That and we were sober. I stood next to him, glancing down occasionally.

"Morning. Did you want your jacket back?" He asked, his voice quiet and sweet, as per usual. 

"No, it's okay. You can keep it." We proceeded to engage in conversation, just as we had done yesterday. 

"You know Armin," I started. "Your eyes are like the ocean." He turned to me, slight confusion across his face. "I mean, they're blue, and clear...and nice to look at." I saw his pale flesh turn a dark pink, before realising mine were probably the same. To this day, if for whatever reason I start to forget why I fell in love with Armin's eyes, I just have to look at the ocean to be reminded. It was as if they were miniature pools to mimic that of the bigger version.

"T-thank you, Eren." He shuffled closer to me, our arms touching ever so slightly. "Can I ask you something?" 

"Go for it," I replied, shooting a reassuring smile his way.

"Is it possible to fall in love after just a few days?" He quietens down his voice as he speaks, so he is almost inaudible. I pause, looking at him as he looks out to sea.

"Sure I guess," I responded. "Well, I mean it depends on the situation. I'm not expert in this field." I laugh softly, scratching the back of my neck awkwardly. 

"Eren," he said, turning to me, his cheeks now bright red. "I think I'm in love with you."