07. April 14th

My eyes opened as I felt the boat shudder. Armin was asleep against my bare chest, the heat of his own body radiating. We were in Armin's cabin, since Jean and Marco were out and said they wouldn't be back until the morning, what ever that meant. Armin and I decided to make the most out of this opportunity and sleep in the same bed, our bodies against each other. His mere presence made me feel comfortable, so I wasn't really fussed that he was keeping the covers to himself. Officially, we had been a couple for two days, and they had honestly been the best I had ever lived. 

The boat shuddered again, followed by one more. I sat up, glancing around the dark room, gently shaking the petite blonde. 

"What's the matter Eren?" Armin asked sleepily, rubbing his eyes and yawning. 

"Get dressed, we need to take a look upstairs." Something told me something wasn't right, that we were in danger. I tried to sound calm for Armin's sake, but I don't think my act was fully convincing. I got out of the bed, pulling my trousers on along with a shirt.

"It's freezing, why do you want to go up there?" He asked, worry beginning to show in his voice. I thought he must've felt the shudders too. 

"Just to have a look. It'll be fine, come on." I offered out my hand and a reassuring smile to the smaller boy after he had dressed himself. I took his hand, leading him up to the higher decks. The icy air whipped at our faces as soon as we left the safety of shelter, Armin's hand tensing. I pulled him in front of me, wrapping my arms over his shoulders in attempt to keep him warm as we walked. 

"What's going on?" I asked, tapping on a member of the crew's shoulder. He turned, obvious panic in his eyes. 

"Oh, no, nothing at all, nothing at all, nothing at all. Just a mere nothing. We just hit an iceberg." I looked at him, confused for a moment. What was that supposed to mean? Were we still going to America? The realisation finally set in as I caught a view of lifeboats being prepared to be lowered into the frozen-looking Atlantic. 

"Armin, wait here. I need to go find my mother and Mikasa," I said, my hands on his shoulders as I talked firmly. 

"No! I'm coming with you," he said, determined to come with me. 

"I'll meet you back here, just, please, stay. Get on a lifeboat at your first opportunity." Turning, I began running down the deck. Our cabin was near the front of the ship, where many people were screaming had been hit and was filling with water. 

"Someone! Please!" A familiar voice echoed through the halls and I immediately realised who it belonged to. Mikasa. I ran as fast as my legs would carry me, the floor appearing damper the further I ran down the halls. The door of my cabin swung open, revealing Mikasa- shivering and wet, tears running down her cheeks. I peered into the room and it was apparent water had begun pouring in, like a lot of rooms had. My mother was in there, laid on her stomach, what appeared to be broken wood holding her down. 

"E-Eren...oh thank go...please, tell Mikasa to go!" She exclaimed, tears running down her face, too. I rushed into the room, wincing at the sudden change in temperature as my body came into contact with the water, attempting to lift the giant pieces of wood. 

"Eren...even if you somehow managed to move it, my legs are crushed, I wouldn't be able to run."

"Whatever! I can carry you!" I felt a single hot tear burn my cheek.

"Would you just listen to me? Grab Mikasa and go!" She looked into my eyes, seriousness written all over her face. The water continues to rise, close to covering mothers face and drowning her. I picked Mikasa up, putting her over my shoulder, about to leave. 

"Thank you...goodnight...I love you, Mummy."