Chapter 3: Pilot Part II

I woke up in my bed with a massive headache. I groaned and got up. I went into the bathroom and pulled out some Tylenol. I swallowed one dry. I got in the shower and washed up. I put on some jean shorts with gray tank top and my leather jacket with some black heels. 

I need to talk to my mom. I went downstairs and found it empty. I pulled out my phone and scrolled through my contacts. I clicked on 'Mom'. I pressed call and put it to my ear. 

"Hey, hon." She said. 

"Hey, Mom. Where are you?" I asked. 

"I am at work." She said. 

"When will you be home?" I asked. 

"Around 5. Why?" She asked. 

"I just want to talk to you." I said, "I got to go. See you later." I said and hung up. 

I put on some sunglasses and walked to the car and drove to school. I walked through the hallways to Tanner's class. I had to listen to him drone on and on and on. Ugh...

"The Battle of Willow Creek took place right at the end of the war in our very own Mystic Falls. How many casualties resulted in this battle? Ms. Bennett?" He asked. 

"Um...a lot? I'm not sure. Like a whole lot." She answered and everyone snickered. 

"Cute becomes dumb in an instant, Ms. Bennett," Tanner said, "Mr. Donovan. Would you like to take this opportunity to overcome your embedded jock stereotype?" He asked. 

"It's okay, Mr. Tanner, I'm cool with it." Matt said. 

"Hmm. Elena? Surely you can enlighten us about one of the town's significant historical events." He said. 

Elena said, "I'm sorry, I--I don't know." Here comes the bad part. 

"I was willing to be lenient last year for obvious reasons, Elena, but the personal excuses ended with summer break." The Douche Bag said. 

Elena looked down at her desk and I wanted to answer, too. My voice and Stefan's went over each other's. 

"346, including civilians." Me. 

"There were 346 casualties, unless you're counting local civilians." Stefan. 

"That's correct. Miss, Mister?" He asked. 

"Jenson." I said and Stefan said, "Salvatore." 

He just seemed to ignore me, "Salvatore. Any relation to the original settlers here at Mystic Falls?" He asked. 

"Distant." Stefan said. Liar, liar, pants on fire.

"Very good. Except, of course, there were no civilian casualties in this battle." Tanner said. 

"Actually, there were 27,sir," I said and he looked over at me, "Confederate soldiers, they fired on the church, believing it to be housing weapons. They were wrong. It was a night of a great loss. The founder's archives are, uh, in the civil hall if you'd like to brush up on your facts, Mr. Tanner." I said and everyone chuckled. 

I looked back at Stefan and smirked. He playfully glared because he wanted to say that. Tanner looked at me and I could see the hatred in his face. 

School was over now and I drove home. Tonight was the bonfire. I picked out a white and blue dress with white wedges and my leather jacket with my vervain necklace. I also curled my hair into tiny ringlets, which took forever. As I finished my makeup, I heard the door shut. 

"Mom?" I yelled. 

"Yeah, hon?" She asked, coming into my room. I need to talk to her about my necklace and vampires.