Chapter 1

Another day, another disappointment in life. "That's all that happens anymore," 16 year Ella McDonnell thought to herself. Not only was she informed of her barely passing grades but she also had lost her part time job due to an over nosy school counselor. 

"Damn people worrying about shit that doesn't concern them," she mumbled to herself. Ella kicked the rocks down the alley as she made her way around town, avoiding going to the place she resided in with her older sister and her sister's family, for at least a few hours. the last thing her sister needed to know was that she couldn't even hold down a job anymore, even though she had been working since the age of 10. As Ella reached the park, she went over to the self proclaimed pavilion known as the "Stoner's Haven". Seeing an acquaintance from school, she proceeded to make her purchase and find her a spot against the picnic table to light up the freshly purchased joint. Ella made sure to put her other "purchase" in her pocket for later.

"So Ells, you going to Max's party later on? Heard it's supposed to be big. All the alcohol and drugs a person could want," the acquaintance let on.

"Yeah probably. Lord knows I might as well party my life away now, since I'll be skinned alive if the bitch of a school counselor calls my sister like she did my job. Can you believe it? That damn bitch got me fired because two of my grades dropped," Ella ranted.

"See this is why I switched to the Alternative Education Program. They practically give you all the answers and the classwork is so much easier," Lars the acquaintance informed. Ella nodded but knew she'd never be able to swing that stuff by her sister.

"I'll see you later. If I don't get home, I'll be on strict lockdown."

With a quick wave, Ella made her way to her sister's quietly going through the door, to avoid any confrontations.

"ELLA GRACE! GET BACK HERE NOW!"

Ella winced at her sister's holler and made her way to the kitchen where her sister was cooking dinner.

"What do you need? I have homework I need to do and it's going to take awhile," she slyly lied. Yeah she had homework, but she wasn't planning on actually doing it.

"Good you better be doing your homework. Your school counselor called. How can you be just barely passing three classes? You have never let your grades fall before." her sister, Melody, asked with concern in her voice.

"It's just from low test scores. I've never tested well and you know this. That with barely any assignments is throwing the whole grading curve off," Ella expertly fibbed. 

"That's all it better be. Oh and our brother called. He wants you to call him when you get a chance."

Ella rolled her eyes. Like hell was she going to call their brother. Besides having an older sister, Ella also has an older brother named Sebastian. Apparently pursuing an acting career in another state seemed more important than family did. At least that's how it seemed to Ella.

"I'll think about calling him, but no promises. He's the one who left us. Or do you not remember is abandonment just like my so-called mother's and our so-called father's," Ella bitterly bit back before stomping up the stairs.