Chapter 2

After storming away, Ella proceeded to lock herself in her room for the rest of the evening. Once she was sure that everyone was asleep, she made her way out of the window and down a tree that she had to jump to from the bedroom window. With her feet back on the ground, Ella made her way to a person that everybody in town knew one way or another, Max. 

Max Schroeder was the town's golden boy that had dark secrets for days. At 17, he was the son every parent wished they had, but to the teens that actually knew him, he was the hook-up to any crazy antic that went down in the small city, whether that be alcohol, drugs, or whatever. 

Approaching the door of one of the many houses owned by the Schroeder family, she could see Max already scoping out the guests. Ella assumed it was just to find his next notch on his bedpost. Knowing Max for so long, she was immuned to all his smooth talking and lame ass pick up lines and tactics. Ella had met Max in 1st Grade and since then the two had become like brother and sister. She knew all his dirty secrets and he knew hers, well for the most part. 

"Ella! I knew I'd see you around here tonight!" Max called out before strolling over and wrapping the much shorter girl in a hug. 

"I'm not passing up a chance to forget everything for a night, if you know what I'm saying," she snorted.

Max tightened his arms around Ella and held her close for a few moments. "He tried calling again, didn't he?" Max mumbled. Ella didn't say anything but just nodded into his chest. 

"Well enough of this depressing shit. Go have fun Ells and try not to do anything too stupid without me," he chuckled. She smiled and walked away from Max as the school's or excuse me the town's whore, approached him. Avery Hollins, was notorious for her intimate encounters, both male and female. 

Ella walked inside and the scent of booze, sweat, and drugs invaded her nose. Grabbing a drink, she danced with a few random people before making her way up to a bathroom. Once inside the bathroom, she locked the door and stared in the mirror. An image of a happy, curly haired, 3 year old self flashed through her mind, but when she looked up, she didn't see that. Staring back at Ella, was the reflection of a 16 year old, whose youth and innocence that used to shine from her blue-grey eyes, was long gone. Ella noticed that her eye make up was all smeared from the silent tears that built up but couldn't seem to fall and her hair was all ratted with the random leaves, sticking out. She pulled out the leaves and tried to fix her eye makeup but it was a useless attempt. Shaking out the multiple thoughts of self hate for a moment, Ella pulled out her small wallet from her back pocket of her jeans and opened it. Concealed under her License, Cash, and Debit Card was a small plastic package, filled with the white powder that would give her the much wanted freeing feeling that she craved. Ella took the package and dumped the contents out on to the table of the vanity. Grabbing one of the cards, Ella made three neat lines of the powder. Quickly, she leaned down and snorted all three lines of the Cocaine, wincing slightly at the burn as it entered her nasal passages. She wiped her card down of any left over substance before sticking it back in her wallet and in turn putting her wallet back in the pocket of her jeans. Ella made sure to wipe her face down before exiting the bathroom.

"Great party, right Ells?" Max shouted over the loud music that was blaring throughout the house.

"Always Max. What happened to Avery? I thought she was your lay for the night?" Ella questioned.

"Please. I may be a man whore, but even I'm not stooping that low," he chuckled. "Now come on. Just because you're a bit high from what you just did, doesn't mean you're buzzed completely."

Ella nodded and went off to get a drink with Max. One drink turned into two and two into four. When Ella was going for number five Max put an hand on Ella's arm.

"Don't you think that's enough for tonight Ella?" Max questioned, being careful to tread lightly, knowing that Ella had a tendency to be an angry drunk.

"I'm still fine," Ella said slurring her words.

"Nope, you're not. We both aren't. Ella, we need to get you home for tonight, and then look into getting help tomorrow," Max stated.

"No, I don't need anyone's help!" Ella shouted offended at the mere thought of her being that bad off. She got up and made her way out the door.

"Ella wait! You can't go home alone!" Max shouted. Ella turned quickly which wasn't the best idea. Black dots started to set into her vision and the world around her began to blur and fade. Max ran towards her as he seen her collapse onto the ground.

"ELLA! OPEN YOUR EYES AND LOOK AT ME! DON'T DO THIS TO ME!" he cried out.

Max pulled out his phone and dialed 911 as fast as he could.

"911. What is your emergency?"

"My best friend just collapsed outside of a party," Max told the dispatcher though choked sobs.

"Okay sir, how old are they and are they male or female?"

"It's a 16 year old female. Just hurry please!"

"We have an ambulance on it's way."

Max hung up and cradled Ella in his lap, rocking her back and forth like a child. He saw the lights and heard the sirens but made no point to let go. He wasn't planning on letting his best friend go, both literally and figuratively.