Chapter 5: Bets and Mario Kart

The train was immensely packed with commuters, it was nothing out of ordinary though, at least to Nadine. As long as she has her earphones plugged in and her "on-the-way-home playlist" is playing, she's armed and ready to face the long train ride. Right. Luck wasn't on her side today though. She left her earphones on her office desk. She feels weirded out by the amount of noise people could make inside the train, how annoying human sound could be when they all talk at the same time, different languages and dialects. She felt that this has been the longest ride of them all. She busied herself by looking at her Instagram feed. Pictures of couples, babies, selfies, nature, food and toilets? She closed the app, bored and exhausted. She looked through the glass window to check herself and noticed a familiar reflection. She looked back to find the face in the sea of people and caught his eyes staring right back at her, a smile forming on his face with recollection. She snapped out of the stare contest when she figured out who it was. "Oh shit." She mouthed to herself. He must have read her lips. His forehead scrunched up, curious of her change in expression.

"City Hall" announced from the train speakers as it ceased and the doors opened.

"City Hall. Please mind the platform gap." Nadine took the opportunity to join the wave of people off the train.

"Nadine!"

James called out as he tried to make his way out but was caught by the wave of people boarding the train. He gripped on to the hand bar as tight as he could possibly do to release his frustration. He kept his eyes on her as the train moved, she was looking right back at him. Why is she ignoring me? he asked himself.

...

Nadengsky: Yas, I'll be late. Got caught up at City Hall, waiting for the train that's taking like forever.

YassiSassy: What are you doing at City Hall? You got out too early? Tanjong Pagar ang station Nadeng. Ligaw ka? 😂

Nadengsky: Will tell you about it later. You better reserve seats before maubusan. SEE U 😘

...

Nadine arrived at the sushi bar and quickly scanned the crowd to find Yassi engrossed in a conversation with two men by the sushi train. Her heart beat faster, feet felt heavier, muscles stiffened. She felt cold sweats in her palms and forehead. Before she could even walk back to the door, Yassi noticed her and waved at her.

"Nads, we're here!" she said with enthusiasm.

Nadine sat on the available seat. She was greeted by Andre and a fair young man that looked familiar. "Hi, we've met before. At Zouk! I'm Bret. Well, I told you I was Bryan but I'm actually Bret." He offered his hand and shook hers, trying to explain himself.

"Hi Bret. Nice to meet you, again." She gave a friendly smile as she breathes for what feels like the first time.

False alarm.

The men went on and on about their misadventures in army, the wild and lonely days in the forest as they get feasted on by mosquitoes. Nadine's ears twitched every time they mentioned his name. She was on her 2nd plate of salmon mentai sushi, laughing at some joke Bret and Andre effortlessly delivered when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

"Hey guys, sorry I was late. I thought I saw Nadine on the train. So I..." said a voice from behind Nadine, out of breath. He quickly drew his hand off her shoulder. At the same time, Bret let out a loud sneeze and felt bits of avocado up his nostrils. Then, silence filled the place. Nadine slowly turned to find James looking right back at her, his pupils dilated.