Chapter 12: Me, her and the moon

"It's not. You don't understand. I've been over him. Or so I thought I was. But, I just. I need to be far from him. He didn't choose me. I've learned to accept that. But why does he keep on hurting me? I feel like...I feel like he wants to hurt me just as much as I've caused him pain before."

She pulled herself together and looked up to the man holding her. Sure, the way they met was unusual but there was something potential between her and James. But who was she kidding, she was stubborn and of course she won't give up without a fight. Even though, her mind was constantly nagging at her because really, what was she really fighting for? She knew she deserved better. That she too could have her chance to her own happy ending, yet it seemed like she was her own nemesis. Why was she scared of loving someone and being loved in return? Why won't she let herself be happy? Her thoughts made her furious. And the way James looked at her and into her soul -- made her want to crawl out off her skin

"You're infuriating!" Nadine screamed. "You're just so...so..." She stammered, as she pushed herself away from him, unable to find a better word.

"I'm what, Nadine? What am I to you?" James tightened his hold on her wrist without any intention of letting go as she struggled to break free.

"You're just so..."

"Charming and handsome?" He supplied the words in a teasing manner.

"Yes." Nadine whispered her answer with her head bowed down. Unable to look directly at the man holding her gently as he rubbed his thumb in circular motion on her wrist, his smile was so wide that he closely resembled the cheshire cat.

"What's with that shit-eating grin? You look like that cat from Alice in Wonderland. Ugh, you're absolutely revolting!"

"I'm flattered." He let go of her wrist, placing his hands to his chest, batting his lashes the way he knew would affect Nadine's ability to think properly.

"You're making my blood boil!" She stomped on the sand like a scorned 5-year old.

"Let me properly woo you." He said, tousling his dark brown hair off his mesmerizing brown eyes. His usually playful smile had drawn into a hard line across his face.

"What?" She couldn't help but blush.

"You heard me. I want you to give me a chance to earn your affection." His voice was deep and earnest.

"I...uh..."

"Words, Naddie. Use your words."

Well it seemed like Nadine had turned into a 5-year old and lost her vocabulary, because for the first time in quite a while, she didn't know what to say. She, of all people, had always something to say.

"What uh... what do you mean?"

"Okay, listen. Whew!" He took one step behind and knelt before her, taking her hand as he looked up to her. "It has been a twisting turning road..that has lead us here..and not everything along the way was perfect..not everything in the future would be perfect either..I don't want to promise you that it will be perfect because it won't and I won't ever be...perfect. But, I will absolutely make sure that it will be worth it. Tonight, in the presence of the moon, I ask that you give me a chance to date you. And by that I meant, give you flowers, sing you songs, bring you to the movies, wine and dine you. I want to do special things for you. Show you how much you mean to me. If you'll have me?"

"James, I don't know what to say." She admitted, her breathing became more laboured as if she ran a 10km marathon.

"You don't have to say anything now. I...I'll wait--"

"Okay."

"Okay, yes? Or, okay you'll take your time and think about it?"

"Okay, yes. I'll date you."