chapter three: rosie

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack-"

"Do you want a medal?" Vex asked, looking up from her red painted nails to narrow her eyes at the man who stood at the head of the table.

The man stared the antiheroine down, trying to make her uncomfortable. Vex didn't budge, however, and smirked, knowing she was getting under the man's skin. He cleared his throat and continued on with his 'speech'.

"I dropped right in the middle of my batting swing. Turned out, it was the best round of my life because after thirteen hours of surgery and a triple bypass, I found something forty years in the army never taught me: perspective."

When he received only blank stares in return, the man let out a small sigh. "The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You've..fought for us. Protected us. Risked your lives. While a great many people see you as heroes, there are some that prefer the world...vigilantes."

Sensing Steve's discomfort and anger, Vex decided to speak up for the team. "Really? And what word would you use Mr. Secretary?"

Her gaze was daunting but he wouldn't back down, placing his hands on the table in front of him. "How about dangerous?"

Vex scoffed, prepared to throw a slew of insults at the man when Steve stopped her. She grumbled profanities under her breath while she rocked back and forth in her seat.

"What would you call a group of US-based individuals, who routinely ignores sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose; and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?"

The Secretary of State didn't give the team anytime to defend themselves before he picked up a small remote and aimed it at the flat screen tv in front of them. Images of past battles were displayed on the entertainment system and Vexed watched with slight interest.

"Lagos." Wanda watched, looking at all of the destruction she had accidentally caused. Vex sensed her pain without even looking at her and turned to Steve, the blonde man immediately getting the message.

"Alright, that's enough," Steve warned, motioning for the tv to be turned off. The Secretary of State, happy to have his point seen, shut it off without hesitation.

"For the past four years, you operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But," a small smile appeared on the man's face as he pushed a large folder towards the team, "I think we have a solution."

Wanda passed the folder to an awaiting Vex, who looked it over with Steve. The brunette stared at everything in confusion, shaking her head slowly. "What the f-"

"Sokovian Accords; approved by one-hundred and seventeen countries. It states, that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization," he cut her off, a smirk being sent in her direction.

Vex scoffed, tossing the folder as if it were trash. The only reason she had stayed with the Avengers -part-time of course- was because they weren't controlled by the government.
If they were to get involved, then they would basically control Vex. They'd use information, what little they had, against her; and then she would be vulnerable. But Vex wasn't having it.

"Bullshit, I'm not signing it. That's a fucking scam," she hissed angrily, crossing her arms over her chest. Her patience had officially ran out and she was struggling to keep her composure.

There was a hand placed on her thigh, making her slowly look down. Vex offered Steve a thankful smile before she placed her hand on top of his. He knew the reason behind her anger, why she didn't want to get involved in the government. This would only worsen her problems. If Steve -and the other Avengers- were to sign the document, Vex would be more than angry.

"We'll think about it," Steve told the man, not looking him in the eye as he dismissed the 'older' gentleman. "Thank you."

"Why are you thanking him?" Wanda asked, genuinely confused. She glanced between Steve and Vex, earning two small smiles from the couple. "I thought you were both mad at him."

"We are." Vex placed her feet back onto the carpeted floor and stood up, choosing to sit on the table instead. "He's a dick."

Steve let out a small laugh, closing the distance between the two and placing his open palms on her legs. "What do you all think?"

"I'm not signing it." Sam was the first to speak up, the dark skinned man leaning up against the doorway with his hands crossed over his chest, right next to James Rhodes.

"That's only because he's gay for Steve," Vex muttered under her breath. Her boyfriend tilted his head to the side, his eyebrows furrowing.

The team discussed the accords, and Vex wasn't surprised when their opinions were divided. Wanda never said anything, she just watched everyone interact with each other, how they moved while they spoke. Vex didn't need to speak, since everyone knew where she stood, the same going with Steve. Surprisingly though, Natasha was all for the idea of signing the accords.

"Aren't you the woman who told the government to kiss her ass?" Vex questioned, her arms lazily placed on top of Steve's biceps as he kept his arms wrapped around her waist.

"Didn't you tell America to kiss your ass when they sent out a warrant for your arrest?" Natasha shot back, not even waisting a second.

Vex smiled, shaking her index finger. "No. No I told America to go fuck itself. Not kiss my ass. But it was heavily applied."

Steve sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose while Vex grinned proudly, remembering the speech she had addressed to the entire country. There was a soft beeping and Vex's grin dropped as she pulled out her phone. Her closest friend, Rose, had sent her a simple text.

she's gone V. she went in her sleep. call me

The anti-heroine's mouth opened to form a small 'o' shape and she placed her hand over her mouth. Gently, she removed Steve's hands from her body and didn't bother to excuse herself before she left, dialing Rose's number.

"I honestly thought it'd be a while before we'd have to do this again, Rosie."