chapter seven: doube-ended shit stick

"I am seriously thinking about going into hiding, again

"I am seriously thinking about going into hiding, again. This is all too much for me."

Natasha watched the French brunette across from her carefully as she sipped her double shot of tequila. Vex's glass held the same kind of liquor, though she had been through at least twice as many shots as the red head by now. They were seated at the back of an older, worn-out bar, making sure to keep their voices low as they talked out their problems. Vex sat back, throwing her head up as she ran her fingers through her tangled brown locks, letting out an exaggerated sigh.

"Don't you think it's a little too late to back out now?" Natasha's left eyebrow lifted questioningly while she squeezed a fresh lime into her mouth. "We're in balls deep, you know that right?"

"I've been in worst situations, and gotten out quite easily," Vex admitted haughtily, holding her chin up a bit higher. Her shoulders dropped though and her delicate fingers found the shot glass in front of her once again, lifting it up and throwing it back so that the liquid contents spilled down the antiheroine's throat.

Natasha's hands were clasped together on the table separating the two women, and she struggled to find something to say, the right thing to say. "We're adults, we got ourselves into this, we have to suck it up..and deal with it."

"When I got into this I didn't know we would be picking sides, Natasha. I've had to pick sides before and no matter which one I chose I always ended up alone." Vex looked up from her glass to stare Natasha dead in her face, showing how serious this was. "This isn't just about the accords anymore, you know that."

Though nothing was humorous, Natasha found herself smiling briefly. "Yeah, I know. But we need to stay together. We have to stay together."

Vex exhaled sharply, pursing her alcohol stained lips. "There is no staying together anymore, Natasha. We both know that. Our team-your team could only last so long before it all went to complete shit. Now it's a double ended shit stick and we have to pick which side of it we want."

"Which side do you want?"

"I don't want either side," Vex admitted honestly. "I don't really agree with either end but, I'm not apart of this team so why does it matter.

Natasha stared at the woman in front of her darkly, the topic of her makeshift family hitting home. Which was odd because Natasha couldn't recall the last time she had a home. "You are apart of this team, Vex, and you're going to have to choose eventually, whether you want to, or not."

"Who's going to make me?" Vex questioned deviously, her blue irises darkening to a brilliantly colored lilac that was a few shades darker than usual. "Vex doesn't play sides, Natasha."

"You knew what you were getting into-"

"I knew that this team would not last long, though I had mentally given you all at least two more years; that is why I refused to join," Vex clicked her tongue. "Teams like these never last, Natasha. You are an adult, you should know that."