chapter eight: consequences?

Vex and Natasha exited the meeting room in which they had been stuck in for a total of two and a half hours

Vex and Natasha exited the meeting room in which they had been stuck in for a total of two and a half hours. The meeting had ended short after word of The Winter Soldier's capture had gotten out. So, the two women followed after security and a hoard of other men as they made their way towards the incoming 'prisoners'. Vex mumbled constant profanities under her breath as she took off her borrowed blazer off and threw it into the arms of the person closest to her. The woman had been worried sick about her boyfriend ever since she became aware of the target that was being placed on his back. She moved quickly, hoping to find him before he could be whisked away from her.

Natasha was talking to her but Vex found herself unable to listen while she tried to spot Steve. Just when she was about to give up and force someone to tell her where her boyfriend was located, she heard the sound of Sam Wilson arguing with a random employee who had taken his suit. Letting out a breath of relief, she made her way over to the man, pulling him into a hug. She lightly punched the man's shoulder when she removed herself from the hug, a frown on her face.

"Idiots, all of you," she mumbled tiredly, though she had to admit she was happy to see familiar faces again. "Where is he?"

Sam merely pointed to his right, making Vex follow his direction. Her eyes connected with Steve's and she quickly closed the distance between the two, embracing the much taller man. Steve allowed Vex to wrap her arms around his midsection, holding the French woman close to him while she cussed him out quietly. He smiled meekly though it dropped when he saw the tired look in his girlfriend's eyes. Steve tucked fallen strands of hair behind Vex's ear before he cupped her face and brought it close to his own. The blond stared down at her for a few moments before he placed his lips on hers, bringing her even closer to him. Embracing Vex once more, Steve mumbled apologies under his breath, his voice muffled from his lips being so close to his girlfriend's hair.

"Mr. Rogers," a voice interrupted the pair, causing them to separate. Steve stared at the shorter man across from him oddly, unsure of who he was and what he was doing here.

Vex, noticing his confusion, explained briefly who the man was. "That's Everett Ross, he's a dick."

"He's Deputy Task Force Commander," Sharon Carter corrected the woman while she stood beside the very man they were talking about.

In response, Vex rolled her eyes. "I absolutely loved Margaret Carter but you just seem to irritate me sometimes, Sharon."

"Where's the blazer I let you borrow?" Sharon ignored the longtime family friend, crossing her arms over her chest while she stared at the brunette's borrowed outfit.

"Still intact somewhere if I'm not mistaken," Vex shrugged, knowing that she could just buy Sharon another blazer and all would be well.

Steve nudged his girlfriend, causing her to frown. He placed his arm around her waist, though his gaze was fixed on Everett Ross. "What's gonna happen to him?"