I've Got You

The aftermath of streams never went too badly. It usually consisted of a little more time on the sofa discussing the events of the stream, what would need to be cut out, things like that before Stephanie would stand up to go get more tea from the kitchen and return with a mug and the cat tucked under her arm.
But that wasn't what was happening.
Matthew took a moment to breathe and lay down across the couch staring haplessly at the ceiling, completely out of it while Stephanie leaned back and put her hands over her eyes.
There was a short silence as Jason packed up his things and waved them goodbye, Stephanie making the effort to raise a hand in acknowledgement.
"I don't like games anymore."
Matthew's voice echoed around the room and Stephanie nodded.
"Mmh, and why is that?"
"Because."
That was quite enough out of him. Steph, leaned forward and looked down at him.
"Not a single game?"
"Earthbound, maybe. But this one may have broken me."
"Yeah."
The final scene of the game played again in their heads, and Stephanie had to forcefully hold back tears, digging her nails into the palms of her hands.
Matt sat up and stood up quickly to get rid of any dizziness he might have as quickly as possible. He offered her a much needed hand, quirking an eyebrow.
She looked back with red eyes and his gaze softened.
"Hey, c'mon, let's go upstairs and take a nap, huh?"
She nodded softly and put her hand in his gently and carefully, trusting him to wash away all of the sadness.
He smiled at her with sincerity laced into his gaze, unspoken words between the both of them.
He pulled her to her feet and steadied her, offering her a shoulder to quite literally cry on.
He led her up the stairs and kept a firm grip on her, entering their room and lying her down.
He felt rather sad himself. After all, look at her, she's so brittle and weak this way and he despises seeing her in such a frail state.
And he wasn't kidding when he said he didn't like games anymore, because if he ever had to see her like this again he wouldn't dare touch a console near her.
He leaned over to kiss her on the cheek and whisper in her ear.
"I've always got you, Stephanie."
She moved a bit to face him with a faint sliver of a grin.
"I know."