Steal My Heart (7)

I never thought the day would come that I actually wanted to go to school. It wasn't that I hated school, but I was like any other regular teenager. I would usually rather have been doing something else with my time. But not now. I would have done anything to go to school, to see faces I recognized. Even faces of the people I didn't like.

But no, here I was. Stuck in a large house filled with unfamiliar faces of people I didn't recognize. People I didn't feel safe with. Well, not that I necessarily felt safe with some of the kids at my school, but they knew my father was a police officer, so they knew not to mess with me other than the usual bullying.

But I would have taken any bullying over this. At least for the most part I knew I was safe at school. Not necessarily safe from words, but safe from any other kind of danger.

But then again, Jeremy did go to my school... And he was a Bandit. I just hadn't known. And Shannon was just like the bullies at school, if not worse. I've never thought the bullies at school would physically hurt me.

But no school bullies were as bad as the people that I was surrounded by now... They hadn't done anything to me yet, but I couldn't be sure. They were criminals, after all, so I couldn't let my guard down, no matter how nice anyone was to me. I just needed to be careful. My dad would have been disappointed if I wasn't careful.

As the day moved forward, I began feeling more and more uncomfortable. Today was the first day of school since I'd been kidnapped, and of course Jeremy had went to make everything look normal, even though it wasn't.

I spent most of the day on the futon, awkwardly flipping through magazines because there wasn't much else I could do. I didn't have my phone and there was no way they were going to let me go on the internet, so that was all I could really do. Isis said eventually there would be books for me to read, and I was hoping that would be soon because fashion magazines just weren't my thing.

"Someone's more antsy for Jeremy to come back then you are, Is," Shannon smirked, and the blonde's entire face burned bright red. "You sure you don't have competition on your hands?"

"Jeremy's just my friend," I assured, not wanting Isis to hate me for something that wasn't even true. "And barely even that. We've just known each other for a while."

"Friends make the best lovers," Shannon continued to tease, making her way out of the room as she spoke. "I think I would know!"

The last thing I wanted to think about was how many lovers Shannon had, which was obviously a number that she was proud of, though I wasn't so sure I would feel the same way if I had had as many partners as she had. I was the kind of person that believed you should only have sex with the person you loved, and if that meant waiting until marriage, then so be it.

I had once been willing to give my virginity to Malcolm, but I was glad that I hadn't. Back then, I truly thought that we were going to spend the rest of my life with him, since I'd already spent most of it by his side. But now, everything was different... I still loved him, but he just wasn't able to reciprocate that love toward me.

I tried telling myself that platonic love was enough for me. At least he cared. But as time went on, I began to wonder if it was really enough...

"She really likes to talk, doesn't she?" I couldn't help but ask once Shannon was gone, and this made Isis laugh.

"She's definitely not afraid to speak her mind, no," she sighed, eyeing the handcuff that connected me to the radiator. "I guess it's her way of making sure no one will mess with her."

And I guess it worked... I didn't want to have anything to do with her, and I rarely saw anyone else interact with her beside Isis and Casey. The only other person beside the two of them that didn't seem afraid of her was Grant, and usually that ended up in him getting beat up.