Chapter Two: Turning Over a New Leaf

When Summer got home she slouched onto the cotton sheets of her bed. Her mind bounced eagerly through the happenings of the past day during school. She thought. And the more she thought, the more eager she became to scream out the pockets of fireworks that exploded in her mind. That name. Jack, Jack Merridew. The formal boy whom offered out his friendship and she foolishly denied it. 

"How could I? I ignored him when he was actually willing to be friendly to me. And possibly... Could've been my friend." Her head sunk into the pit of her hands and a swollen tear trickled down her face. Followed by many. While lifting her head up sluggishly, Summer waltzed herself to the window ledge. The rolling tears became glistens of fragmented rainbows pouring down her cheeks. 

The waterfall of sadness stopped. She jerked her head slightly, looking at her hands. "If I could only reach out to him. I could show how much of a good friend I can be." Edging to the opposite side of her room, she lifted her diary and flicked through the pages within it. 

"July, 17th. The day my heart fell apart because of someone I attempted to let in. Do I really want to make this mistake again?" She spoke, throwing herself upon her bed once again. Closing her eyes to the past, just trying to forget.

***********************************

The next day, Summer woke. Her dreams seemed to be compacted with Jack's face over, and over again. Just like the sight of a pony on a carousel. And she just knew that today was the day she was going to talk to him. After all, she had english class. 

Brushing her teeth, and brushing her hair; Summer leaped through the door just as the big hand hit the 7. She strode on down the path, leaving flourishes of positivity behind her. And when the bus arrived, she climbed up the bus stairs like she was hiking mount Everest. Nothing was going to deflate her happiness now. That was... Until she realized her face was covered in small, scattered pimples; plastering all over the bridge of her nose. Looking horrified, she slowly concealed her iPod away into her bag, acting subtly suspicious as a small group of people scuttled past her. She took a deep sigh, closing her eyes and taking her mind off her appearance. 

"Appearance doesn't matter, its all in the personality." Summer whispered to herself, bending her head down and staring at the peeling leather on her black shoes. In the corner of her eye, a figure approached her. Her hands began to dampen like dew in the morning, and pulling a disgusted face she stretched them out and rolled her eyes. 

Noticing Summer sitting by herself, the figure tilted its head. Pondering over an idea for a few seconds whilst still in motion. 

"Oh, no, I'm gross today!" The words slipped out of Summer's mouth in sheer disappointment, and she knew that making a good impression was the most important thing when approaching the day. 

"You don't look bad at all!" Summer looked up, seeing Jack smiling down on her. She pulled an awkward face, and shrugged her shoulders in embarrassment. Jack gave a short, airy laugh then continued walking along the corridor.

The one person Summer was trying to impress today, and she showed herself up ridiculously. Shame trickled down her forehead, urging the bell to ring violently. Lugging her discomfort off of the hallway floor, she strode along the corridor with her hair running past her ears like flames in a campfire. Though, her attention of her classroom was lost. Someone caught her eye. An eery looking boy with dark, interesting features. Their eyes locked, and a rush of butterflies fluttered in her stomach. Doubtfully, she looked away and forced the door open, unveiling a bustling, but dull room. Summer closed her eyes for a split-second, and when she'd opened them she was sitting in a much brighter room, at the back. And a small laptop was sat neatly in front of her, demanding a long piece of writing. In the corner of her eye, a boy looked up at her and his gaze hit her so hard in the stomach that she couldn't react. He looked away, and at that moment she knew she had lost something. She had lost her chance.

Shaking her head, Summer was back in the dull room. No one looked, or even noticed her at all. She sat down, smacking her head upon her palm of her hand. As the rest of the room's occupants chattered among themselves. She was an outsider.