Chapter Eight: Patisserie & Misery

Over the next few months Summer fell into a deep haze and unfocused from the world around her. Science lessons seemed dystopian. Ignorance after ignorance, she concentrated on the untold. Just letting her mind wilt and her smiles droop. And the brightest thing in her mind was that day she became friends with Ky. That same day he cut her down and slit her throat for thinking good of him. What a mistake. Everyday she brought herself back to that one moment burning in the back of her mind. That moment that she had tried to conceal after weeks of hatred slapped on top of her memory. But what could fade such an anger when such a feeling still bled through. Summer listened in on her devils clinging onto her left shoulder all day, everyday. 

Walking down the hallways of the english block, her focus drew an arrow to a familiar voice which was coming from a few yards in front of her "HEY! I thought I recognized you, you're Summer right?" The voice came closer and popped her bubble of security. She looked up at the voice and stared.

"I don't know you." Summer mumbled, avoiding the voice and moping onwards.

"Well, I do! You were in my form in fifth grade!" Summer jerked her eyes from left to right then raised her head and widened her eyes.

"...Millie?" A tight smile stretched on her face, and they both laughed for a while. 

"Well, its great seeing an old friend but I've really gotta get to class. I'll see you after, 'kay?" She waved her off then plummeted back into reality. Oh no, what had she been doing avoiding friendship like this? She could've been happy. Although her smile remained faintly, a tear fell from her eye and she wiped it away remembering her middle school memories. How much she'd changed.

She strolled into the English lesson and sat optimistically at the back of the room. Heads turned but Summer still sat smiling in her new frame of mind, even after Jack came to sit beside her. 

Turning to him, glowing, she exclaimed. "I know I've been quite... Well... Down, the pass few months. But don't worry, I'm okay now! Jack looked at her with pale squinted eyes. 

"Are you up to something? You seem awfully suspicious." Freddie turned round and glared at Summer.

"Well, no. I'm just extremely sorry I have been playing ignorance since forever. Please, please, please forgive me!" She pouted her eyes and placed her hands together, squashing them against her nose. 

"I guess..." 

Freddie gingerly tip-toed over to a spot infront of Jack and Summers desk. "Hate to interrupt a dreadfully sacred moment. But haven't we discussed this matter... Weeks ago!" Jack scratched his face and laughed hesitantly. 

He looked at Freddie in the eye and put on a stern face. "Look, I know you're jealous. I get that! But pretending you're my... err... partner isn't gonna get you a relationship with me. No offence but I know I liked you before, but..." Jack tilted his head back and stared at the ceiling. "You knew this was coming, and I'm sorry to admit this to you this bluntly. But... I'm not gay, and I'm dumping you!"

Freddie's head bolted back suddenly, and he seemed to keep taking deep breaths. "I'm sorry I bothered you." His head was low but you could tell he was plotting something fierce. Sneaking away back to his seat just in time, the teacher then arrived...20 minutes late. Throwing her bag onto her desk and re-adjusting her glasses, she began the lesson.

Throughout the hour, Jack and Summer re-bonded and realized how much they really had in common. Not a thought came to mind of Ky, and all the traumas he had lead her to. It was as if this was fantasy. 

Summer turned to her left, stating her gaze out of the window. A small, shy-looking boy toddled around outside, looking fairly lost. Summer rose her hand and begged the teacher to leave the classroom.

"Yes, Summer..."

"Miss, please can I go to the toilet real quick." The frail, tall woman rolled her eyes back and nodded her off. Allowing Summer to creep out and seek the martyred boy's vulnerable appearance by first glance. 

After sneaking down the desolate stairs, between the ghostly corridors and escalating into the white open courtyards outside; Summer found herself in the place that the lonely boy was seen. She looked around, aimlessly wondering until she found her ears became apparent to a mumble of whimpering coming from behind a beaten bench. Peering further, she saw a fair-haired boy stretching his face down to his knees in fear and regret. She scratched her head and stood directly in front of the boy. He didn't look up. The pavements featured within the courtyards lead to this boy, yet no one had never caught sight of him. 

"Excuse me...?" Diverting her head around in panic she tried to remain her focus on the boy. "Look, I really need to be heading back to class..."

The boy looked up with a solemn stare lengthening by the second. 

"If you could just tell me your name, then maybe I could provide you with some kind of help..." The boy continued staring. But, slowly, his mouth opened and words began spitting out.

"Well, its... I'm... Roger. My parents dropped me off here... I don't know where I am, please help." Rogers's words quivered, yet his smile failed.

Repeatedly, Summer scratched her head in worry. 

"I really wanna help, that's why I came out here. But thinking about it... I need to get to class!" Summer fled, leaving Rogers's arm stretched out, calling for rescue. His anxiety swallowed his soul. Just an empty piece of warm, unattended apple pie.

She left the scene.

********************

The last few days were all but excitement. Too much optimism is never good for anymore, especially for Summer. She shriveled her eyes in disgust and regret.

She passed twin doors and gazed at her reflection as she walked on. What was becoming of her? Was this just how life always was; ups, downs, the smiles decent into frowns, and this emptiness. Her eyelashes twitched as the wind rose but sunk her optimism much lower than her self-esteem was already.

The corridors followed her every move. Every room, and door guarding it. Just watching... Her eyes welled up and her neutral expression cascaded way into dust scattering on the ice cold floor. Mind shook like a blizzard-filled snow globe, suddenly her mind couldn't think straight. Her eyes wondered. Her legs weakened; later trembling and wearing her strength to stand away. Eye lids dragging, and darkness grasping control, a red-headed boy appeared in sight just as she had taken her last breath...