Chapter Three: Lost in His Eyes

The bell rang once again after a long speech by Summer's form tutor. Dragging herself up slowly, she gave a sly, dirty look to the boy on her right. He had recently got a new haircut and whether he was trying to impress anyone or not, it truly looked terrible.

Slithering down the corridors, groups of 20 tall people at one time. They looked down on Summer like she was the lowest authority, but Summer just rolled her eyes and slogged on forward. She kept her eyes facing the ground at all times, providing anyone had tried to get in her face and irritate her. Time moved slow for her, and everybody else seemed to be able to move quickly towards their destiny. Summer was just afraid of what might come, and how she might ruin or make the wrong choices in her life. So there she was, alone in a world of shadows. Never knowing where she belonged, whom she belonged to. Or what she was supposed to be. In a confusing, bitter world.

"Ah!" She yelped in an agitated, deeper tone. Shaking her head, she raised her brow and rubbed her eyes from the daydream. "I'm so sorry to have got in your way, I hope you're not hurt. Well... Goodbye." Her voice gradually trailing away as they lost attention. Summer looked back on the person and gave a short smile. They seemed to look away almost exactly after. Another moment where she felt like rolling her eyes was the only reply to an occurrence such as that.

Peering through the steamy window of her English classroom, she spied a few students already in the classroom. Phew, she wasn't tardy. But somehow being early was just as bad. They looked at her as she walked into the room, eyes widened and sharply fixed on her like they were hunting their prey. Trying not to make any bold gestures or movements, Summer crept round the outside of the room. Untucking her chair, and setting her books out as slickly as possible. She brushed down her jumper, and fiddled with her hair until it seemed in place. Now all she had to do was wait. 

The clocked ticked for what seemed like forever, but in a few minutes a tall boy entered the classroom. Summer looked up in a jerk movement, and the boy seemed to give a broad smile and what looked like a welcoming wave pointed towards her. Unfolding her arms, she raised her hand to say hello... 

"Hey Jack, god you look a mess. How many times have I bloody told you to not wear them smart rags. I mean, seriously? Don't you even care about your social standing? You are here to make me more popular. Ha, ha. I mean... A better person. Isn't that what we agreed on when you started dating me. Now for the mercy of the heavens just try and dress decent for once!" His smile seemed to weaken, and his hand lowered in discouragement. 

"Well, all I can say is you don't exactly look like the bee's knees either. Really, this school could sure use some class and fabulousity!" The pair seemed to laugh following that negativity. And Summers confusion was emerging into rivalry between this unknown 'friend' of Jack's and her. Jack hadn't even noticed Summer's ever clenching fist, levitated in the air. Nor her deflated and poisoned expression splat upon her face. And all this worry just seemed to amount to nothing. Launching her head to the table, a huge BANG set the heads of those in the room to rotate in her direction. Including Jack.

The eyes of Jack's 'friend' seemed to have turned to glare at her, as she lifted her head back up again. 

"Well, anyway. Talk later boo." Jack smirked. The friend seemed to squint her eyes pulling an almost fake smile while facing Jack. Summer rolled her eyes, and pretended to reach something from the pit of her bag. 

"You know, you look a bit anxious about something." He spoke, drawing nearer to his place next to Summer. She took a long sigh and turned to him. 

"Well, I don't really know to be honest. Basically, life just always gets me down. I can't really pin-point a specific factor." A frown melted down her face, and Jack looked at her in regard. He pulled out his chair and took his jacket off; slowly shoving it into his black rucksack.

"You know, I know exactly what you need! You need someone that appreciates you and loves you for who you are. And I know the perfect person!" 

"You do?" Summer looked confused, yet felt like Jack was accepting her. Watching him sneak his phone out of a holographic pocket at the front of his rucksack, she begun to feel more doubtful about what Jack was intending. 

"Here, this is his number." Summer looked down at his phone in confusion. The letters and pixels portrayed upon it seemed blurred and muddled.

"He's called Ky. Ky Black" Jack certified, smiling happily and turning to summer for approval.

"Wait...Black?"

"Yes." Jack cleared up. "He's my half brother. On my father's side of course. Most of the family on my ma's side live in Peru." Handing out his polished mobile, Jack edged it closer to Summer. "You can call him, or text him or whatever. He's only a few months older than me. How old are you exactly?"

"Well, I'm 14. I'll be 15 in June."

"That's great! And weird too, my birthdays in June too!" Jack seemed delighted for a second, but somehow seemed to glance at his 'friend' for a moment. Shaking his head he looked at Summer with a different set of eyes. "Ky was 15 on Saturday. Big celebration. My dad bought him a Ps4 and he just played it from when the sun had risen to when it had set. At least... I think." He screwed his mouth up and tossed it about his face, building anxiety.

"Well, I hope he had a good time. I guess..." Summer smiled awkwardly, and the pair seemed to avoid each other's eye contact for a while. By this point, Summer had clicked on Ky's contact name and pondered on what to say.

'Hi you probably don't know me, but I'm Summer. I just met your half brother and he said you had good advice, or something. And I was wondering if you'd help me.'

Her finger prints darted about the surface of Jack's phone, and her mind wandered. What if Jack's brother doesn't really exist? What if Jack is just playing me? Trying to concentrate harder, she pressed send and placed the phone down on the desk carefully. "Well, I've done it!" She turned to Jack. "Do you want your phone back now, or should I wait till he responds?"

Jack took a sigh whilst closing his eyes. "You don't have to give it back. Its okay. I know you are struggling at the moment. Trust me, Ky will be able to help you." Jack huffed, bolting upright and tossing his rucksack onto his shoulder. Struggling through the side of the classroom, he looked back. Catching a glimpse of Summer, before taking a deep breath once again and leaving the room. The door was wide open, and once Jack had left it was forced shut. Summer felt like letting anybody understand her again would be a huge mistake. So she folded her arms back up, plummeting her head back to the desk. She was just a failure.