Chapter Six: Difference & Unease

Freddie made a swift motion turning around to face Summer and Ky. "Its true, and if you have a problem with it then that's your problem, not mine. Winking his eye and smirking, as he faced back towards the board at the front of the room. Summer looked at Ky in shock.

"One, how the hell did she... I mean, how did he hear us? Two, WHAT?!" She whispered to Ky, puzzling a confused expression on her face. 

"Beats me!" Ky exclaimed, looking a little too satisfied. Mr Gofalu turned to Ky and gave him a harsh stern glare. 

"Have you not noticed that my lesson has started? I planned this lesson out for weeks to make it 100% clear how important mitosis and meiosis is in the world of cells. And you go and disrupt it. Go and stand outside, NOW!" Ky looked appalled. Obediently standing up slowly and dragging himself through the classroom, and later slamming the door in rebel. "Well this was an understatement, you know I usually don't mind if you chat in my lessons. After all, its your loss if you fail to pick up information in them and have to revise harder. But slamming the door and causing damage to school property is another portrait.", Mr Gofalu demonstrated. Ky looked even more horrified, crinkling his brow in unease. "I didn't mean to scare you sir. Infact, I'm extremely pleased that you have befriended Summer. She's been having a very hard time fitting in these past two years. You, have done a very good deed Mr Black." He smiled at Ky, giving off a warm sensation. Ky mirrored a distinct beam and Mr Gofalu lead back into the lesson.

"Sorry for that little interruption kids. When duty calls, Mr Go has gotta go!" The class busted into laughter, and Ky turned to Summer. She smiled back at him.

****************************************************************

Following the class out of the lesson, the pair walked beside each other until they reached the door. "I'll see you later then... Summer." He looked towards her and winked his eye whilst turning swiftly around and gallivanting off down the hallway.

"Actually... KY!" He swiveled back around and looked directly at Summer, startled. "Would I be able to sit with you on the bus?" 

"You don't have anybody to sit with?" Ky questioned, widening his eyes and glancing at Summer in sympathy.

"Well, no..." 

"That settles it then! Sure you can!" Exclaiming once more, Ky took Summers arm and dragged her all the way to the bus stop. "You know, our bus is always late."

"Yes, I know." Summer grinned, bearing her teeth and placing her skirt out flat as she sat on a bench by the bus stop. She thought for a second, then reached her hand into her bag, pulling out Jack's phone. Ky leaned over and spied what she was doing. 

"Ah, you have a text." 

She beamed, "Yes, from you." The phone displayed a message accordingly. 'Hey Sum, I was wondering if you are really unhappy about anything.' Taking a sigh, she looked up to Ky and wondered into his eyes. 

"I... I have always been shy. And as I grew older the shyness didn't stray. I kept it in the form of awkwardness and difficulty of meeting new people. I've always wanted to make a friend. But the very prospect of having to talk to someone for the first time, having to keep conversation without falling into a lack of topic... Or, how everyone's so daunting. With their tall statures and wide grins. The whole idea is just extenuating my vulnerability and making me feel more different and isolated from the rest of the world." Summers eyes narrowed and a roll of tears fled down her cheek. Shielding her pain with her hand whacked onto her face.

"Summer..." He placed his hand on her shoulder. "I know its hard to understand, but you will never recover from this fear until you face it. The whole world is open to you, you just have to take a chance. And even if someone denies your friendship, you'll at least learn how approach to people. And after all, you can't be that bad at making friends. You have me." Summer looked up and saw Ky bearing solace and warmth. She turned, reaching her arms around him. Tears fell down her cheeks and onto his ebony jumper. "I will never let you feel like this again." 

After a few minutes, Summer let go of his hug. Wiping her sadness away and revealing a sure smile.

"Thank you Ky."

 The bus swerved round the bend and greeted those whom had waited for it. They boarded and glided to the top of the bus, placing themselves in a seat at the front. "I really can't believe haven't had any friends before. Generally, you are a really nice and considerate person. How could no one appreciate that?" Summer rolled her eyes and scratched a spot on her cheek for a few seconds.

"When I was in 5th grade; I realized that being friends with people for too long made me grow harsh and dishonest towards them. However, when I am faced with new friend-making, the very idea just freaks me out because I detest change!" Summer clenched one side of her mouth and continued, "So really, I can't keep friends for very long."

"Well, I'm telling you now, however, and whenever you become this certain way; I will put up with it. I mean, how bad could it be?" Summer smirked at him to show how unsure about that statement Ky should really be.

After what seemed like a few minutes, the bus stopped and demanded Summer to escape from the bus to her house. "Well, I'll text you later!" Ky commented, raising his hand in a flat-out manner and holding it in place. 

"Bye." 

Through her ears she picked up a short comment made by some obscene 7th grader. "She so likes him, he's like so blind to it. Its hilarious to watch actually." Summer squinted her eyes in perplex. What a load of nonsense!