Chapter XVII

SURPRISE!!!!! :D Here's a little something that I cooked up and finished about two weeks ago and forgot to post... Wow, I'm terrible. 

~~~

Nothing.

It was just one door and one room, but my spirits were promptly crushed. Maybe we weren't going to find Zelda. I knew better than to hope vainly that love would prevail – yet, didn't it always prevail for me and Zelda?

"Try another," Sheik commanded, tugging at my consciousness.

Obeying silently, I walked through the corridor, praying that I wouldn't meet up with any more guards. Something about this whole ordeal made me feel uneasy, and I couldn't shake the feeling that something was going to go terribly wrong. However, I chose to press onward, refusing to let myself give up. I wasn't going to compromise the lives of everyone else just because I was discouraged.

Door after door, I was rewarded with nothing – no Zelda. Still, I kept on, Rota fluttering around my head. Why was my Triforce leading me on? It was telling me Zelda was near, yet she wasn't in any of the rooms I checked. Was it lying to me? It wasn't supposed to do that.

Finally, I heard movement in the room to my left, "Do I go for it, Sheik?"

"Yeah, check. That's the music room; Zelda always spent a lot of time in there," Sheik stated, squirming around in my shadow anxiously, worried about his beloved sister.

Tentatively, I pushed the door open, uncertain and fearful.

It was a mistake.

I just made the biggest mistake of my life.

My father – Ganondorf.

He hadn't noticed me yet; his back was turned to me, but he could sense me, just like I could sense him. My Triforce was glowing like crazy, and it wasn't a good thing; it was a burning pain, and I felt as though I wanted to retch. My fear escalated, and the tension in the air was so thick it could have been cut with a knife.

Yet I forced the fear and bile at the back of my throat back down, remaining as calm as I possibly could. This was the man that I had called my father for twenty one years; I couldn't just forget that while facing him. Now, I wanted the Master Sword, the one mentioned in the legends read to us as children. That was the only way I would be able to defeat him, right?

"Welcome, Link," he stated, "son," he added sardonically, and shivers traveled down my spine. How long ago was it that he had said that word lovingly? It felt like ages ago, and it was.

"Ganondorf," I responded coldly.

He laughed bitterly, "What – No 'father'?"

"My father's dead," I said, my hand clenching even tighter around the hilt of my sword. "You've become someone else, Ganondorf. You're no longer my father, and you never were in the first place." My voice rang throughout the room boldly, and I couldn't believe myself.

Ganondorf shook his head ruefully, banging his fist on a piano. I could feel Sheik boiling with rage from within my shadow. "So, what're you going to do, Hero?" Ganondorf questioned mockingly. I hated the way he said 'Hero'.

I took no time in looking around the lavish room but locked eyes with Ganondorf as soon as he turned around to face me. "I'm going to go find Zelda; then I'll finish you. You won't break me," I stated flatly. "You won't break me."

"Ah, yes – You lost your arm," Ganondorf shook his head 'sadly'. "I must say that I've never heard of the Hero having only one arm. How do you expect to beat me with only one arm, Link? You won't be able to. I don't even have to break you – You're already broken as it is. Good luck in trying to beat me because you won't be able to. It will be impossible. I'll let you go for now, but the next time I see you, I won't hesitate to kill you."