PROLOGUE

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡  NIT BOY♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ 
NIT BOY
♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡

MARINA'S FIRST DAY AT BEACON HILLS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
OR
THE DAY THAT LYDIA AND MARINA'S FRIENDSHIP BEGAN

HERDS OF CHILDREN spill out of their classrooms as a bell rings, signalling the start of recess. Marina ran with the rest of her class but stopped, realising she had nobody to play with; all of her friends were back in Arizona and now she was left with nobody. She began frowning, realising that her father had lied when he said that it would be easy to make friends, everybody else already had friends, they didn't need anyone else. Refusing to stand around all alone Marina began scanning the crowds of children, looking for anybody on their own like herself. A girl with fiery long hair in pigtails and tear stained cheeks caught her eye and she immediately walked over to the tree where she sat.

"Why are you crying?" Marina asked the girl, tilting her head to the side. She had always been straight forward, she say no reason to hide the truth--however, she would feel very differently when she developed a crush on the one and only Lydia Martin.

The redhead looked up from her lap and up to Marina, letting out a small hiccup. "My boyfriend just told me he likes Sally from the other class and he left me."

Marina gasped, that seemed absurd to her. She had never had a boyfriend before, the only thing that she had that was close to a boyfriend was her neighbour back in Arizona, Jacob, who had a huge crush on her and had made that clear multiple times by attempting to kiss her, Marina, however, had been too fast and ran away screaming. But Marina was sure that boyfriends were supposed to love you and only you and she was determined she would have a boyfriend who loved her by second grade even if she still thought that boys were icky.

"Why are boys such jerks?" Marina questioned rhetorically, dropping to the ground to sit beside the girl. "Who is he? I'll beat him up."

"Noah, he's standing right there, next to Sally in the ugly pink dress."  She pointed to a boy in a blue shirt who was talking to a girl with curly golden hair at the jungle gym.

Marina nodded and made her way over to the two as they began hugging, her tiny arms crossed over her chest. When she reached them she pushed the two apart and stood in front of Noah with a furious expression, landing a slap across his face.

"Noah, why didn't you tell me you had nits? Now I need to get all of my hair shaved off!" Marina cried, turning to the girl behind her who had a disgusted expression plastered on her face. "Run, before they get you too!"

Sally did as she was told, screaming on the way to her group of friends who she immediately warned about Noah. Nobody doubted the accusation no matter how much he pleaded with everyone to believe him, that it wasn't true and he had eventually landed himself with the nickname 'nit boy' for two years straight which admittedly made Marina feel guilty but she brushed it off, telling herself that it wasn't that bad and that it would have been much worse if they had put some effort into the name.

Marina heard giggles from further away and turned to the girl that she had done the whole thing for in the first place and skipped back over to her.

"I'm Lydia." The girl grinned, her missing front tooth showing, Lydia would likely been upset about her tooth falling out if it wasn't for the dollar that the tooth fairy had given her in return for it.

"I'm Marina."

Lydia stood up, a giant smile growing on her face. "I think we're going to be good friends."

    ♡ ♡ ♡

A/N: and finally, here it is after a 10 year wait, it may be shitty but it's here and hopefully the chapters to come will be much better