waves and driveways

*Chasten*
I think it was about six when it happened. When we realized I could sense and feel others emotions.

I was always so good at guessing others emotions. But I was horrible on trying to make them go away.

My best friend, Joe Malard, had a rotten core inside of him. I didn't know it yet, and I went along with what ever he did, including bullying the kids on our block.

Before I knew what old Joe had become, we roamed the streets looking for younger people to pick on. I thought it was just a game. They know we don't mean it. It was just for fun.

One day, Joe and I decided that we'll pick on the new girl on the street. I didn't want to, I had a horrible head ache. My parents had been fighting (again) and I wanted to stay in bed. I didn't want to play.

But of course Joe insisted and I went with him. After all, he was the Alpha. I didn't want to get hit. He slaps hard.

I tagged along, my head ache was pounding, making a never ending beat in my head. I winced at every step.

Joe strode confidently past the Smith's house that had a little boy whose crisscross eyes was the subject of teasing. His eyes widened, as he dashed towards the door, his stubby legs flashing. Fear made my heart beat wildly, and I gulped. I felt scared.   I shouldn't be thinking this, My six year old self thought. You're with Joe. You have nothing to fear.

The O'Reily's had a son and daughter that had a horrible stutter. The were humming lightly and were drawing o the sidewalk with chalk. As soon as they saw us, they jumped to their feet and ran inside, the girl dragging her brother. Terror made me want to gallop away to safety and never come back.

I bit my lip to suppress the scary feelings.

At last, we reached the little girls house. My headache vanished as though it was never there, and I felt perfectly at peace. Then a little girl came out, her chocolaty brown hair tied in a braid, her eyes alight with curiosity. Suddenly, I too felt curious.

"Hi!" She squeaked, waving to us and smiling, showing us her gaped-tooth smile.

"Hi, mousy." Joe said cruelty in his voice, and he grinned, showing off his rat-like features.

She looked taken aback and I felt a sudden burst of wariness. the girl glanced at me and I scrunched my face up and tried to look mean. Looking uncertain, she swung her gaze back to Joe.

I felt a growing sense of fear that made me want to bolt inside. I felt mistrust and scared of what they would do to me. They? There is only her, the girl.

"... Do you have mouse ears mousy?" Joe asked sneering.

Still taken aback she answered truthfully, not getting that she was getting teased.

"N-no. I have normal ears like you." She said, stuttering.

"No you don't! You have mouse ears because you are a mouse mousy!" Joe exclaimed angerly, and he drew his hand back and forward, connecting to her check with a loud smack.

Shocked rippled through me and seemed to show on the girl's face. Her mouth gaped open and nothing came out of her mouth. Fear, hurt and shock tore through me. I stumbled backward and fell, clutching my head. My headache came back so viciouly that I felt if I took my hands away from my head, peices of my skull would be on my hands.

Her lower lip quivered and she wispered quietly, "I'm not a mouse."

"Yes you are!" Joe said, slapping her again.