[08. the symbol of death]

[ 9 months ago ]

Hermione sat in the empty living room, patiently waiting for Ron to get back home. She shut her eyes as she placed a hand over her forehead. It was already one in the morning and he still wasn't back. Opening her eyes again, the concerned brunette got up from her seat and began to pace around in the dimly lit flat. Finally, she heard the door open and immediately turned towards the door. "Ron," She called out.

Ron stumbled into the flat, almost losing his balance as shut the door behind him. He groaned in pain as he held onto his side.

"Did you get hurt again?" Hermione asked, running over to his side as she helped him stand. "What happened?"

"The bloke we've been trying to catch for weeks finally made an appearance and it took a while to capture him but we got him." Ron explained weakly with a small grin as he looked down at her. "I'm sorry for making you wait so long, Hermione."

Hermione looked up at him and sighed deeply as she shook her head. "Let me check your wounds," She said, seating him gently on the couch. She grabbed her wand and lifted up his shirt to see a huge bruise painted on his side. She furrowed her eyebrows and lightly touched his ribs. He groaned in pain and she sighed. "You fractured several ribs,"

"I'll survive." Ron brushed it off as he shrugged.

The upset brunette let out a frustrated sigh as she brushed his hair away from his face to see blood trickling down the side of his face. "And you probably got a concussion."

"Hermione, I'm okay, I promise." Ron told her gently, taking her hand in his. "I'm alive, isn't that the most important part?"

Hermione looked down at their hands and sighed, pulling her hand away. She silently treated his wounds, muttering spells under her breath. After she was done, she placed her wand on the table.

"Hermione," Ron called out, reaching for her hand again only this time, she pulled her hand away. He licked his lips as he slowly gazed up at her. "Is something wrong?" He asked cautiously.

"I can't keep doing this, Ron." Hermione whispered as she looked down at her hands. "I can't keep waiting for you to come back home. I can't keep wondering if you'll come through that door or not."

Ron bent his eyebrows as he sighed, pressing his lips into a thin line. "But Hermione, this is my job. Do you want me to quit?"

Hermione looked up to meet his earnest gaze and opened her mouth but nothing came out. After a few more seconds, she finally sighed. "Would you?"

The confused redhead let out a deep breath as he shook his head. "I, I dunno."

"I know," She replied, nodding. "I'm not saying this because you're an Auror, Ron. I'm saying this because you come home injured every night. There's not a single night when I don't have to check for any injuries."

"But this is part of the job--"

"No, this is because you're reckless." Hermione snapped as she ran her fingers through her brown curls. "Harry doesn't come home every night injured out of his mind! Ginny comes home with nothing but a small scratch! You come home half-dead, Ron!" She exclaimed, shooting up from her seat. "You want to know the difference between you and them?"

Ron stayed silent as he looked up at Hermione.

"They're careful and cautious on the job because they have each other to think about. They know they have someone to go home to and so they don't throw themselves at every dangerous situation." Hermione explained, crossing her arms across her chest. "Am I not worth coming home to? Am I not worth thinking about when you're out in the field?"