[15. The Suspect]

Ron stood up abruptly from his seat the second she walked into his room. "Hermione,"

She flashed him a small grin and walked over to him, setting her clipboard down on the bed. "How are you feeling?"

"Much better," he replied with a grin, his eyes never leaving hers.

"That's always good to hear," Hermione responded, slightly backing away from him to create more distance.

"Hermione, can we finish our talk?" Ron asked, leaning over and taking her hand in his, giving it a slight squeeze.

The frazzled brunette sucked in her breath as she shook her head lightly. "Ron, this really isn't the time and place for thi—"

"I know, but I have a feeling we have to talk about this now or it'll never come up again." Ron insisted as he shut his eyes for a moment. He gained the courage and opened his eyes, staring over at Hermione. "Do you still love me?"

Hermione sighed out softly as she searched his face as if an answer would be painted there for her to easily take. "I-I ..." She didn't know. Hermione gently pulled her hand away from his and grimaced. "Ron, of course, I still love you, you're one of my best friends." She told him and furrowed her eyebrows, sighing. "But," she paused.

"But," Ron repeated after her, his face falling.

"I don't think I love you the way I did before." She told him carefully.

Ron nodded slowly as he tried to mask the look of hurt that flashed across his face. "Oh, o-of course. I suppose that's only natural ... we haven't talked in almost a year and a lot of things have changed from then and –"

Hermione looked at the man in front of her and something inside her just snapped. But what if she did still love him? What if she still had feelings for Ron and she just didn't know it? Maybe the person she had feelings for was Ron and not ... him.

She didn't know why she did what she did. And why at that moment, and why after she rejected him and why after everything. She didn't know why she did it but her body moved before her brain could comprehend. In one fluid movement, Hermione leaned in and captured his lips with her own.

Ron's eyes widened in surprise, his ears instantly adopting the same shade as his hair. But it didn't take him another second to pull her closer, kissing her back gently but passionately.

But he wasn't the answer. Her heart felt heavy. He wasn't the one. Before she knew it, tears sprang from her eyes. Ron pulled away with a look of confusion and concern. "What's wrong? D, did I do something wrong?" He asked softly, wiping away a tear with the pad of his thumb carefully.

Hermione glanced up at him and shook her head gently. You aren't the one. "N, nothing."

"Hermione, I promise I won't do anything to hurt you again. I'm sorry I didn't realize it sooner," he apologized, placing his hand on the side of her face and caressing her cheek gently.

The confused witch leaned into his warm, familiar touch but pulled back instantly. "No," she sucked in her breath, gazing into his eyes with a hint of sadness. "Ron, I'm so sorry. I thought we could but ... we can't do this."

"Why?" He asked, his eyes widening.

"We'll only end up repeating history." She told him softly, placing her hand on his cheek. "You and I both know that," Hermione sighed out. "You're the brave auror who will do anything to stop Abaddon. Nothing can stop you from doing that, not even me."

"No, Hermione, I've changed. I-I can--"

"Ronald, no, you can't." Hermione pressed gently but sternly. "What good will we do by starting this relationship again? Abaddon is after me and he wants me dead. I'll only end up becoming your weakness, and I can't do that to you, to us."