twenty

Emily laid awake in bed, staring at the dark ceiling. Her ears listened to the soothing sound of the cold, post-midnight air rustling through the needles of the pine trees covering the mountain range The Acropolis hid inside of.

It was two o'clock in the morning. She wanted nothing more than for sleep to devour her body. But her mind was too active. Thoughts swirled around inside like a frantic storm. She kept coming back to one central question: why did he lie? That led her to believe Director Shaw had other plans for the confiscated Kismet shipment.

He told them they were retrieving machine parts. That wasn't the truth. Why did he want the Primonium? What use could he possibly have for it? And, more importantly, why didn't he just tell them. It was too much for her to comprehend. A slight headache ravaged her head. Grimacing, she rolled over in her bed and shoved her face into the cool side of her pillow.

This entire time she thought Atlas were the good guys. After all, they saved her and the others from Kismet. They were the ones trying to save the world. So why were they keeping secrets?

The images of the red liquid inside of the crates flashed across her vision. He wasn't destroying it. He very well could've been using it for research, but she didn't think that was the case. No. The man had a purpose for them. Emily needed to know that purpose was. Because if he was planning on using it, perhaps to create his own super soldiers, she would have to seriously question where her loyalties laid.

She wanted to trust Director Shaw. She really did, and she rarely put her trust in anyone. But now she wasn't sure. Apex's words echoed around her. She knew she shouldn't have been thinking about them, but she couldn't help it now. 

What if Kismet aren't the bad guys? The dangerous thoughts flooded into her mind, clouding her judgment. What if Atlas are just using us for our abilities.

She remembered what the Prime told her.

''We don't judge our brothers and sisters.''

Before, his words sounded cold and manipulative. But now? They almost sounded inviting. All she wanted was to be accepted. Kismet could've given her that. They could've offered her the opportunity to fully be herself without any repercussions.

She scowled. That's exactly what Apex wanted; he wanted to get into her head, for her to question herself and everything around her. She wouldn't let him win.

Tomorrow she'd learn the truth, even if she had to storm into Director Shaw's office herself and demand it from him. She desperately hoped he had a good explanation for his deceit. For both his and her sake.

#

''Good job with yesterday's mission,'' Director Shaw as he scanned over the mission report displayed on his computer screen. ''I had complete faith in you all. Keep that up and you'll become senior agents in no time.'' He adjusted his glasses and smiled at the six teenagers-turned-soldiers sitting in his office.

He sounded like a proud dad addressing his children after winning a basketball game. Emily watched the man, fishing for any subtle changes in his behavior. She was no therapist, but she was a decent judge of character. If he was lying or withholding anything, she'd most likely be able to tell.

''Yeah...,'' Chase said, his tone cold, distant even. He was doing a poor job of masking his suspicion. ''It was pretty routine.''

''Nothing out of the ordinary?'' the director inquired. He kept his gaze on the screen to his side. He then smiled at them. Emily and Chase shared a glance, worry crossing over their faces like shadows. Shaw was eerily calm; he didn't seem aware of their tampering with the Kismet shipment, even after Chase dented the lid of the container full of Primonium.