Chapter 3 - Helpless

“Finally” I mumble under my breath. I am starting to get really tired and weak. Fainting a few hours ago has made me very weak and dizzy. I lose my balance and fall to the ground, but before I can Doughty catches me. “Thanks” I say to him as he helps me up. He looks at me with a very worried expression on his face. “I think you need to rest, Wait here while we go look for a boat”. I try to say something but I can’t, I just sit down and close my eyes.

When I wake up I am moving very slowly, but I am still moving. I sit up and find that I am on a little boat, with Touchfire, Doughty and Athor. We are travelling across the River Glin. Touchfire is steering, Athor is rowing and Doughty is sitting next to me binding my arm up again. “Feel better now” He asks me. I look up at him and reply very quietly “Yes, it does, thanks”. “We are nearly across the river” I look up at the water and see it is starting to get rough. The clouds above us are very dark and black and it is starting to spit. “Are you sure we should be travelling with a storm on the way” I say to him with lots of worry in my voice. "I'm sure it will be fine". Doughty replies to me, with a big smile on his face.  I sit up and look out at the water thinking of everything that has happened so far, when I find we come to a sudden stop. "What just happened" I say to everyone on the boat. “I stopped the boat because Touchfire is steering us in the wrong direction” Athor says looking at us. We all look back at Touchfire and see he has fallen asleep again. Doughty sighs and moves Touchfire out of the way and starts steering. Finally we get across the river, Doughty and I try carry Touchfire off the boat, when we set him down he runs and jumps into the boat and him and Athor row back to the other side and grab a food bag. Surprisingly it takes them a few minutes for them to get to the other side when I notice the water is getting rough now. The rain is starting to get heavy and the wind is picking up. They get over to Little-John and put the chest on the boat but I have a bad feeling about this. I shout over to Doughty “Are you sure about this”, but the wind drowns out my voice. They start to row but I see they are struggling. The rain is pelting down on my head and the wind almost blows me off my feet. I watch horrified as the boat starts to rock, the water is rising and all of a sudden, a big wave comes and hits Little-John and the chest right out of the boat. I scream, Doughty looks around to find what’s wrong. He realises that Little-John is gone. He turns around says something to Athor and then my heart drops. Doughty has jumped into the deep, murky water. I stand at the edge of the river as Doughty disappears into the water. I think to myself what could be happening down there. I take off my jacket and just as I was going to jump into the water, I get pulled back. I look back and see Touchfire “Don’t do it, you could be killed” He says to me holding me and trying to calm me down. He looks very afraid as if he knows something I don't. I stop struggling and he lets me go, he gives me a hug and we stand there looking out to the boat. I feel like a lion trapped in his cage, helpless not being able to do anything to change the situation. I am now freezing cold and soaking with water I rush over to where I left my jacket and put it on. Doughty and Little-John still haven't come out of the water. “are you sure we shouldn't go in to help them" I ask Touchfire. He looks at me and shakes his head, so I just sit down and watch waiting for Doughty to come out of the water. Tears start rolling down my cheeks as I remember what Touchfire said to me. The water is getting higher when all of a sudden Doughty bursts out of the water struggling to breathe and stay up. I see he is getting weighed down by something I feel a little relieved as I think that he is carrying Little-John. When I see what he brings out of the water I feel as if a big boulder has crushed me when I see that Athor pulls the chest out of the water. Doughty pulls himself onto the boat with Athor and the chest. Athor looks at Doughty but he is just concentrating on getting to the other side so Athor get the ores and starts rowing. Athor is struggling but he knows he Doughty is too weak to switch with him. Within a few minutes they are back with us. I run up to the boat and help Doughty out he is so weak I do most of the work. I grab him and just hold him in my arms. "I thought I would never see you again" I said to him, he gives no reply, I sit down and let him sleep on my lap. Touchfire lugs the chest off the boat while Athor tries to climb off but instead falls off the side and just lies there. Touchfire sits down with us. We just sit there next to the river in the rain. Athor is sits up saying "come on we have to get out of the rain." I look at him then to Doughty, Athor then says "Touchfire you take Doughty and I’ll take the chest." "No Athor" I say, "I will take the chest and you go find shelter." Athor looks at me in non agreeance but I don't change my mind. Touchfire then comes and gently takes Doughty from me, I get up and put the chest on my good shoulder and start walking. I can see Athor looking at me in disbelief. He walks behind me just in case I drop it. We find a nice dry spot of grass and sit by a tree with very big leaves. I grab a few leaves and make a nice bed for Doughty. Touchfire puts him down and goes to grab some more for himself. Athor and I do the same. When we have made a bed comfortable enough to sleep on we all lie down to sleep. It takes me a while to fall asleep because I just sit there with the images of today. I eventually fall into a deep sleep.