Light fights away the darkness

Trigger warning!!! This chapter has some sensitive subjects in it!!! The writing in italics is the bit you might want to miss...

My men stand before me, holding anything worthy to be a weapon in their hands, waiting patiently for me to speak. Making a speech was never my thing, well, until I met Arthur. The prat wouldn't ever use his own imagination and write one of his own, he gave the job to his manservant. I stand before the crowd, a sword clutched in one hand, my staff clutched in another. My long blue cape is draped over my shoulders and the silver chainmail weighs me down. I open my mouth to speak but nothing comes out. Then I look over at Arthur at the front of the small army. He smiles encouragingly and nods his head.

I turn back to my people and begin to speak.

"This Kingdom was once ours. It was ruled by my Father until he was drove out of the Kingdom by Uther Pendragon, but then my mother chose to rule. The Kingdom grew stronger and no man was left behind, magic or not. My mother cared for you and she never let anyone go hungry. This Kingdom was good.

When I left, the Kingdom lost everything. I betrayed you and I regret that. The throne was stolen by a traitor, Balaine, and the kingdom began to fall. Under his reign, there is never any peace, never any hope.

But, I, Merlin Ambrosius, would like to help you take back the Kingdom and save you from despair! My friends, if you would walk beside me in this great battle, I will fight for you, for your families, for your homes, for magic! I will fight even if I die. I will never leave one man behind. Yes, some of you may die, but you will die a hero! With honour! A saviour for us all! Those of you that will live, will be home again. Back in your own Kingdom. If we win this battle, your Kingdom will never need to be at war again!

For the love of magic! For the love of peace! For the love of Cadagorien!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blades clash, arrows splinter, magic burns. People all around me fall and perish, Balaine's and ours alike. I stand to the front cutting down man after man, only using my magic when needed. Arthur fights a few feet away. His sword skills are incredible and very few people manage to escape his wrath. I hold my staff tightly in my fist and my sword in the other hand. I swing in every direction, slowly moving through the crowd. Balaine's men are brutal and they never give mercy, but if it comes to it, I will give mercy.

A soldier swings his sword towards my head and I duck just in time. When I look back up at his face, I stop and stare in despair (hah that rhymed). A young teenage boy holds the sword beside my head. His eyes grow wide with fear and tears swarm around the rim. I hesitate for a moment. Someone so young, fighting a war that isn't his. I reach up my hand and he flinches, but I place my fingers on the edge on his blade and I push it down gently. He slowly relaxes until the sword is by his side. We stay silent watching each other in the midst if battle. Silence.

Nothing but silent stares.

I open my mouth to speak but as I do he reaches forward and push me to the side, I stubble and fall. I hit the ground with a thud. I turn my head and stare at the boy holding up his weapon with great strength. Another of Balaine's soldiers pushes against him, sword in sword. The youngster twists his hand and the mans blade is thrown to the side. The boy kicks him in the shin and stabs into his stomach. He pulls the blade back and the crimson blood shines on the silver. He turns towards me and grabs my hand.

"Come on," he says as he pulls me to my feet. He still doesn't let go. He begins to drag me through the battle towards the side of he castle. I turn around to Arthur who is battling 100 feet away.

"Arthur!" He turns towards me, and after cutting down the man he is fighting, he runs towards me. The boy, still holding my hand, continues to run when Arthur catches up. He pulls me away from the battle and the side of the castle where there is a hidden gate around the side of the stone wall. He walks towards it and holds his hand out. His eyes glow gold and the lock in the door clicks. Before he walks in he looks at me timidly. He reaches for the handle and for the first time I catch a glimpse of a spiral on his wrist. I take a closer look and a grin spreads across my face.