To be King

I stand by the window in my old chambers, looking down on my Kingdom. The rising sun shines down on the rooftops, sending a warm glow into my room. People of all ages run through the streets towards the castle. Children play and chase each other as they go. That's the sort of thing I have always loved, children being happy and playing.

Someone knocks at the door, making me jump. I turn around and walk to the door. I open it slightly and take a look outside. There he stands, his golden hair messy and his sapphire eyes, almost glowing, staring up at me. A nervous smile plays on his lips and his cheekbones stand out perfectly, making him seem more mature than he is. A golden crown is sat upon his head and his long crimson cape hangs off his broad shoulders. A tingling feeling begins to appear in my stomach, like a hundred angels dancing inside me.

"Arthur!" I say, I grin and swing the door wider so that he can come in. He walks into my chambers, closing the door behind him.

"Hey, Merlin," he says, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Are you okay? Is there anything you need?"

"Um, not exactly, I just wanted to see if you needed any help getting --er-- ready," he says with a cough.

I look down at the outfit I am wearing. I still haven't got changed out of my usual clothes.

"Well..." I laugh. "Probably, I am not used to wearing those clothes myself," I say, with a chuckle, gesturing to the clothes on the bed. I can dress Arthur, but I am terrible at looking after myself and making myself look half decent.

"Right, okay," his cheeks turn a rosy pink and he bites his lip. The tingling grows stronger when I look at his lips. Jesus... what is wrong with me? I am going to look away now...

"Yeah, I--um-- I'll just go behind the screen," I say awkwardly.

I pick up the clothes and walk behind the changing screen. As I get changed Arthur starts to talk.

"So, King Merlin? It's got a ring to it," he laughs.

"I'm not King yet!"

"Seriously?! You have an hour or so," he laughs.

"I can't imagine being King, from servant to King is a big leap. I don't think I want a whole Kingdom resting on my shoulders," I mumble. Every word was true. I don't want to have to care for so many people at once. I don't think I could handle it. So many people looking up to me for help.

"You won't be alone Merlin, I can promise you that," I pause for a moment and think about what he said. Being alone is the opposite of what I want. Loneliness terrifies me. I just want someone to stand by me. when I don't answer he carries on.

"There are so many people here for you. Your Mother, your Knights, your friends...me. We will always have someone, no matter who. People care for you. People love you. Your Kingdom trusts you, you would be a great King, the best King in all the world. You are amazing Merlin. You are witty, kind, loyal, and I hate to admit it, but I would even say that you are wise. You are everything a Kingdom needs. Cadagorien would be proud to have you as their ruler. I am proud of you. You hid your secret for so long, you hid who you are to protect your family, your Kingdom and me. Thank you Merlin," he says.

By the time he has finished my eyes have welled up with tears and my heart hammers in my chest. I walk back from behind the screen (fully dressed, and a bit messy). Arthur is sat on the edge of the bed looking at his hands. When he looks up and sees my tears, he stands and with his arms outstretched. He pulls me into a hug and I burrow my head into his neck.

"Sh, it's okay," he says, resting his chin on my shoulder.

We stand in the embrace, holding each other, until my tears dry. I pull back and wipe my eyes. He stands back and takes in my appearance. A smirk appears on his face and he shakes his head with a chuckle.

Cadagorien And Its Lost Prince (Prince Merlin AU)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें