Melinda 14

Two months til prom

"Nobody asked me to prom yet. And I been dressing up few times and standing up to Joanna and keshia. I need a prom date it's my last year of school" I cried on the phone to Michael.

My grandma walked in and looked at me to get off the phone. I hold my finger up to her. she put her hands on her hips and looked at me. I slide the phone in my pocket without hanging up.

"You young kids and ya technology" she said shaking her head. I couldn't help but smile when her phone started ringing.

"I can talk on the phone at work. It's my restaurant" she said looking at the caller ID. "Take the sweet potato pies out, check on the chicken, go take orders, and also your mom and Sara our coming to eat dinner here, yes Ryan might come. There's flour in your hair. Clean it before you go near my food, love you" she quickly left to go answer the phone. I took mines out and started talking to Michael again.

I took the sweet potatoes pies out the oven and placed them on the counter. I loved working with my grandma, but, she had me doing everything.

"You can ask somebody to prom" he said like we didn't just have the long pause. He knew no girls do that. Plus it's me he's talking to, Joanna and Keshia spread more rumors about me so now no guys talk to me. Expect for Jason friends and that's because they all want to sleep with me.

Speaking of Jason now that I lost few pounds his begging me to chill with him. He even tried the Netflix and chill line, even promising that we're just gonna watch movies and hang out.

"Yea right," I told Michael. "You know if you were here I wouldn't be worrying about this" I told him. This was my first prom and I didn't have anybody to go with.

"Sorry boo. But you don't have to worry no more because I finally decided to be a lawyer. Yep, gay and all. And well I applied at stanford and I just received the letter back and we going to the same school" he shouted. I didn't cheer because he might be playing. He did this trick before. He wasn't even planning on going to college.

"I'm not falling for that no more" I told him. He laughed at me.

"Well then I guess we will have to wait till we meet up this summer for our Italy trip so I can show you face to face" he told me.

"Micheal stop playing with me. You know I will scream at the top of my lungs if you telling me that you also got accepted to Stanford"

"Well girl go ahead and scream cause this boy is gone serve Justice" he said smacking his lips. I opened the door to go outside and screamed.

"Ahhhhh" I screamed really loud. I can hear Michael screaming too.

"I know. I gotta go tell my parents, my mom gone be happy since she's a judge. But, my dad was kinda hoping I follow in his footsteps and become a doctor"

My grandma, Ryan and my mom walked in the kitchen. I stopped smiling to look at they terrified face.

"What happened are you okay?" my mom asked. I quickly hanged up the phone and covered my mouth. They must had heard me screaming. Ryan went to see outside to see if somebody was there.

"I'm okay," I said walking to them. I stopped and started laughing. "Michael got accepted to Stanford University. His letter came in today" I told my mom.

"Honey that's great. Do his parents know yet?" she asked me. I shook my head no.

"His about to tell them right now" I told her. I couldn't stop smiling. I was finally gonna reunite with my best friend. She hugged me and went back out with my grandma and sara, carrying two sweet potato pies. I turned back around and Ryan was still there. He smiled at me.

"So, Stanford huh?" he asked me.

"Yea. How about you? What's gone be the lucky college that gets the basketball star?" I asked him walking close to him. I looked up at him and he walked away. That was weird. I turned back around and looked at him. He was staring out the window.

"I'm not sure yet" he said. He looked at me and put his hands in his pocket. He had four colleges looking for him including Duke to play basketball.

"Michigan state has the best Medical program I thought you wanted to be a surgeon" I said. I went closer to him again. He walked away again. I quickly smelled myself to see if I was the reason he kept walking away from me. It wasn't me.

"I was a kid when I wanted that. Right now I'm just chilling. Drop it" he walked away before I said anything. Was he not thinking about college?

I seat next to Ryan at the table. I loved sitting in my grandma restaurant when everybody had went home and it's just the family here. They were all talking but Ryan and I. I wanted to know why he wasn't thinking about college.

" Is this mean you're not going to college at all. I seen your grades you smart and colleges are begging you to go to there school" I whispered. He looked at me to shut up and looked at his mom. She was talking to my grandma. He looked at me and laid in close to my face.

" Drop the conversation or are deal is off?" he said threw his teeth. We stared at each other until my grandma touched his arm. I looked at him and backed away. I grabbed my glass of water and took a drink.I watched as he smiled at my grandma as they talked about basketball.

" Well we should all go to your championship game. Melinda would had been cheering for you if she had went through with try out. Why didn't you honey?" my grandma asked. Everybody eyes were on me now. I drink my water and cleared my throat.

"W-well" I struggle for words. I stopped looking at her and looked at my plate. I couldn't tell her because I was too fat. "I guess it wasn't for me after all" I told her.

"But you been dancing and doing gymnastics since middle school honey. It's kinda the same thing, I seen you do triple flips and a split in the air" my grandma added. I smiled at her and tapped Ryan on his leg to help me. I looked at him with puppy eyes.

"Did you know that she was on the prom ballots?. Students are voting for her too. I think she gonna win this, she got my vote" he told them. I looked surprised I didn't run for it. Everybody around the table clapped. It was probably one of Joanna pranks. He elbowed me and smiled. I put a smile on my face and acted happy. She is gone make sure I have the worse year. I didn't talk for the rest of dinner. I didn't feel so good.