Chapter 12: A time to be alive

Riley felt happy when she woke up today. It might be because Charlie Gardner will no longer be at school anymore. She's glad that she's not going to be bothered by him anymore.

She did her usual school morning routine. After she got dressed, Cory yelled from downstairs.

"Honey, we need to go. We'll be late. I packed breakfast for you, so you can eat it at school later!"

"Okay! I'm coming!" Riley yelled back.

When they finally arrived at school, Riley couldn't stop smiling about the fact that Charlie Gardner no longer attends this school.

"What are you smiling about?" Cory asked as they started walking towards the school entrance

Riley looked at Cory with a big smile and Cory laughed a little bit at her cuteness.

"Because Charlie Gardner is no longer in this school. I'm so happy" Riley said as they entered the school building.

Cory chuckled and hugged Riley, "okay Riley I'll see you at first period, bye honey".

Riley then walked to where her locker was. Farkle and Lucas saw her so they went up to her.

"Hey Riley, you look happy today" Lucas said walking up to Riley.

"Yes I am!" Riley toughly said as she closed her locked door. When she turned around to face them, she noticed that Zay wasn't with them. "Where's Zay?" she curiously asked.

"Don't worry about him. He had to stay home. He's okay" Lucas responded and Farkle nodded in agreement

"Aren't you guys happy that Charlie Gardner is gone?" Riley sighed and started twirling around feeling happy. Before the boys could say anything, the bell had rung for first period.

As they entered their history classroom, Riley noticed that there were two empty seats now. She was happy to see that but misses Maya. She sat down on her seat and then grabbed her things from out of her book bag. When she got her pencil out, Cory started the class.

"Okay let's get started" He paused, "We're going to be learning about World War 1" He paused again while glancing at everyone. "Who knows about World War 1... Raise your hand please and no I will not pick on you Farkle, let your classmates answer" Cory said while Farkle groaned.

Almost the majority of the class raised their hands, Cory picked Darby Walker.

"Yes Ms. Walker, tell us about World War 1" Cory said as he walked to the direction of where Darby was. Everyone turned their bodies and faces to look at Darby.

"World War 1... Nazi, Hitler and the Atomic bomb dropping at Hiroshima and Nagasaki" Darby said quickly. Everyone agreed with her except for Farkle and Cory. They all turned their faces around to their teacher. Cory furrowed his eyes and had his jaw dropped.

"W-what? That's World War 2. Excuse me?" Cory said in confusion. "Does anyone know what happened in World war 1?" Cory's eyes widened as he still furrowed his brows. Farkle then raised his hand, "Farkle knows! Farkle knows everything!" Farkle said as he stood up from his chair. "Keep the answer to yourself Mr. Minkus. I'll teach them about World War 1" Cory motioned Farkle to sit back down.

The class went on and Cory taught them about what had happened in World War 1. 50 minutes later, the bell had finally rung for the next period. Cory assigned them to write what they know about World War 1 so far for homework.

[Skip to afterschool]

It was finally the end of the day, school has just finished. Cory and Riley headed to the hospital to visit Maya. They offered Lucas and Farkle to go with them but they were both busy. Farkle had family from another country visit them and Lucas said that he had to do chores that his Mom assigned him to do.