Chapter Eight

Detective Constable Matthew Riley was a very personable young man but unfortunately he wasn't much help. After he'd arrived and was served with tea and biscuits, he asked Kate to recount as much as she was happy to about the original stalking and what had happened recently.

Kate went upstairs and returned a few moments later with a box file which she placed on the coffee table and opened.

"When it started the first time I was advised to record every incident," she explained, handing him a diary. "That details what, when, how long etc." She pulled some papers from the box and a CD. "These are copies of the threatening emails and letters, copies of the incident reports I filed and the statements I made, and this CD has audio files of the phone calls I managed to record."

D.C. Riley looked through the papers she handed him and his expression grew grave.

"This is nasty stuff," he commented.

"Yeah, he was a real charmer. I have copies of everything relating to what happened after the attack but I don't recall most of it, my parents collated that data while I was in hospital."

"Can I keep these?" he asked.

"No, but I've made you copies you can take," she said. "Sorry, but the first time I handed this data in, they lost it. Thankfully I'd kept a copy but now I prefer to keep the originals."

"I understand." He put the papers down. "I realise that you've been through a lot, Miss Preston."

"Please, call me Kate."

"Okay, Kate..."

"You don't have to worry about how I'll take the news," Kate said. "I'm quite used to the police not being able to offer much help."

Riley smiled though it was tight.

"The thing is, I contacted the police in London and he's been in London all weekend."

"How can they be so sure? Did they check his alibi?" Kate asked.

"Since his release, he's been wearing an ankle tag. He hasn't gone more than two miles from his home all weekend."

"He could have got someone else to do it," she said. "He wasn't supposed to be able to write to me from prison but he managed that too."

"I realise that but... well is there any chance these two events are just a coincidence?"

Kate's heart sank.

"Of course there's a chance," she said, sounding resigned. "But it's not exactly likely, is it?"

"It's just that without proof..."

"Your hands are tied," she finished for him. "Believe me, I remember being told that time after time."

"I wish I could do more."

"So do I," Kate agreed. "So tell me, will it take another cup of acid before you can do anything this time?"

Riley looked offended by that comment but he soon calmed down.

"I understand your frustration, Miss-"

"No you don't," she cut him off. "You haven't the slightest idea what I've gone through. For eight years I've lived with the pain, the nightmares, the disfigurement from what he did. I'm not a bad person, Mr Riley. I have never knowingly done harm to another and I don't understand what I've done to deserve this. All you lot tell me is that he has rights and that you have to work within the letter of the law. That's all well and good but what about my rights? What about my right to live my life without worrying about some psycho hurting me? Don't I have that right?"