Just The New Girl ~ Chapter One

''COME ON KAILEY, YOU DON'T WANT TO BE LATE FOR YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!''

I shudder at the sound of my step-dads voice booming up the stairs. I picked up my note pad and pen, put them in my patchy bag and slung it loosely on my shoulder. I looked myself over in the mirror one last time. I was about average height, my hair just going to past my shoulders hung in tight black curls; my eyes staring back at me were an odd shade of green. I was wearing baggy black jeans and a long sleeve white shirt. It had to be long sleeved of course, to hide the cuts going up the inside of my wrist. My new school tie was loosely tied at my neck and my shabby black shoes had holes in them already. I looked like a mess. But hey, I’m just the new girl after all. I mean, who turns up at school three weeks into the school year.

Grabbing my black hoodie, I ran down the stairs two at a time, knowing better than to be late when my step-dad is involved. He sneered at me and said: ‘’ God, you look ghastly. Well your mother is out shopping so I have to take you to school. We get to spend some quality time together.’’

Oh no, this can’t be happening! I thought as he said that smirking at me. Then he started walking towards me, backing me up against the wall. He grabs my wrist and squeezes it, knowing full well that I have cut there. Digging his nails into my flesh, making the cuts reopen, pouring blood, he smiles at my pain. How could someone be so evil!

‘’Get in the car, you freak!’’ He shouts, right in my ear. I run to the front door and pull it open for my step-dad. He smiles at me, fake, of course, and gets into the car and I join him in the back seat. Sitting there, I cradle my bloody arm to my chest, trying to make the pain go away and shut my eyes for the whole journey. By the time we get to the school my sleeve is covered in blood.

As soon as the car stops I rush out, practically running to the school gates but my step-dads voice holds me back. ‘’Where do you think you are going without a goodbye kiss on the cheek for your favourite dad?’’ he calls after me. I stop, take a deep breath, turn around and start slowly walking towards him. I quickly kiss him on the cheek, and then sprinting away in disgust at the man. I mean, me and mum were fine on our own! If only mum hadn’t met him… But no. There’s no point in thinking about the stupid ‘what ifs’ because they didn’t happen and never will. I just have to deal with this. Okay keep calm Kailey, just keep your head down and no one will notice you, I helplessly told myself. I walked up to what I assumed to be the heads office and a lady that looking about in her 30’s sat at a desk littered with papers.

When she looked up and noticed me she said, ‘’ Oh, you must be the new girl. Kailey Greenhurst?’’ I nod my head yes and sit down in one of the seats as she told me that ‘Mr, Byrne’ will be hear in a second. I assumed that he was the head teacher and sat quietly as I waited.

‘’I’m Sonya,’’ the lady informed me and I nodded my head to show her I heard. She looked abit offended that I didn’t answer her but I just ignored her. Two minutes later a man in his 40’s and a stearn looking woman with short black hair entered.

‘’Ah, you must be Kailey Greenhurst?’’ the woman said and I nodded.

‘’I am Miss Boston and this is Mr Byrne,’’ she stated, matter-of-factly.

‘’Would you like to come into my office Kailey, and we can have a chat,’’ the head said and I obeyed, following them into his office and taking a seat at the front of his desk.

‘’ I have looked at your record from you old school and I understand that you don’t talk. For that reason, it think that I should place you into the PRU unit.’’

What’s the PRU? I thought and stared at him blankly. Turning to the woman, Ms Boston, I gave her the same look and she said, ‘’ Oh, the PRU is a unit specifically for children with learning difficulties of need to catch up.’’ She assured me. I nodded once and waited for one of them to say something. After about 15 seconds of uncomfortable silence Ms Boston showed me out of the headmasters office and took me to the PRU. It was a medium sized classroom with the usual school things in it. There was a girl with red hair talking to a blonde girl, a boy with an afro and a girl who looked like a boy. None of them looked at me when I walked in so I decided it was best for me to stay unnoticed so I took a seat at the back of the class room, away from the others. Unfortunately, Ms Boston had different ideas and called on me to stand up so she could introduce me to the class. Great, I thought sarcastically.

‘’This is Kailey Greenhurst, she is new to the PRU so please make her welcome. I have assigned Barry Barry to show her around school but he hasn’t seemed to show up, Kacey, do you know where he is?’’ She asked and the girl who looked like a boy said ‘’ No miss, but I know he is in school.’’

‘’Right, Thank you Kacey-‘’ she was cut off by the sound of the door slamming open and a boy that was wearing a black leather coat with his hands in his back pockets sauntered in.

‘’Said you want to see me, miss?’’ he asked, with the same Liverpool accent as Kacey.

Looking agitated and annoyed, Ms Boston said, ‘’Yes Barry, this is Kailey, she is new. Can you atleast show her around school at break? I am sure you can manage. And don’t be late again Barry, or its detention.’’

Barry turned to face me, scowled, then walked over to me and plonked himself into the seat next to me, throwing his bag on the floor. He looked at me, expecting me to say something. After a minute he said, ‘’Well say something then!?’’

I flinched away at the anger in his voice.

I quickly got out my note pad and hastily wrote: I don’t talk. And showed it to him. He read it, frowned, read it again then said, ‘’Why?’’ Taken aback by this, because when I ever told someone that I don’t talk, they call me a freak and walk away. So I just ignored him and looked to the front of the class where Ms Boston was talking. Even though I was facing the front, I felt as though Barry was burning holes into me as he stared at me. I guess no one ignored him often. Well, he better get used to it, I thought…

Okay, I hope you like it so far, this is my first WR fanfic so please bare with me. I will promise to update at leaste once a week for you guys J Please give me feedback, it is very helpful J If you like then pleaseeeeee comment and vote! Pwetty pwease with sprinkles and marshmellows on top?

Thanksss,

Kasia xx