Fifty Two

Ashley gulped when she saw the familiar figure walk to the café, she quickly called Nael for switching but he was nowhere to be seen. She held her breath when brown eyes met her blue ones making him smile and walk closer.

"Hey." Kenneth said, still smiling at her.

Her face was blank, so was her brain. She took a deep breath and let out a small smile, "Hello, sir. What do want to order on this very beautiful warm day?"

"Surprise me." He said leaning closer, making Ashley pull her head back.

"Is a cup of black coffee will do good for you, sir?" She said, her heart might have been beating so fast and her brain was blank, but she had to be professional with her job.

"I was thinking about something sweet." Kenneth rubbed his chin like he was thinking hard about something.

Ashley frowned, she knew.

She knew what he was trying to do. She knew that he was provoking her to offer him some hot cocoa like she always did whenever he ordered and Nael wasn't his bartender. No, she's not gonna fall for it.

"Then I'll put two sugar and some milk, is that okay with you sir?" She said, trying to put back her smile.

He frowned but nodded. "Okay then, I guess black coffee will do."

Ashley nodded and took the money from him, she handed him the change and started making him his coffee.

From the corner of her eyes, she could feel his eyes on her, watching every move making her heart beat so fast, she sighed in relief when she was done with his coffee and quickly handed it to him, like the cup was burning her palms.

He took the cup and looked at her for a second, he looked like he was contemplating something. But after another two seconds, he shook his head and let out a sigh, walking slowly to the door.

Ashley watched him slowly make his way out of the café, she couldn't focus on her next customer. She couldn't even hear what was she trying to order.

Because all she could hear was the sound of her heart breaking.