Chapter 5

Chapter Five:

It had been four days since we arrived at the castle.

I hadn't done much since I had arrived here. I wasn't sure what exactly I should be doing. Everyone had found their groove... everyone except me, that is.

Kat had been training every day. I hadn't been back with her since the second day here. She had invited me, but I felt that I didn't belong there. That was her thing, not mine. That kept Kat, Niki, and Lili busy for the majority of the day.

Matt and Dalton had been spending their days with Tyler. He was guiding them through the recruitment process. They didn't tell me exactly what they were doing; but whatever it was, it kept them the whole day.

That took away everyone I knew and liked.

It had also been four days since I saw King Finnian. He hadn't been to my room again. He also hadn't been to dinner either. I had stupidly showed every night, in hopes of seeing him, but I never did.

I tried to lie to myself, tried to tell myself that I didn't want to see him... that I was glad I hadn't. But I knew the truth. I knew that deep inside I was craving his presence and attention.

I couldn't have that because he was doing just what I told him too; keeping his distance. It hurt... honestly it did.

I felt so alone here. I didn't do well on my own. I liked to be surrounded by people. Growing up, I had always been around someone. I shared a room with my sister and a house with five other people. Besides the people who lived there, there were always people over as well. My pack was a close knit one and the Alpha's house was always open to anyone. It used to bother me, never getting any time for myself, but now, I found comfort in it. I hated being alone. I hated not having someone to talk to. I hated it here.

I had been talking to my family daily. I think they were getting sick of hearing from me. I just needed something to occupy my time.  I had taken to exploring the castle and the woods surrounding the royal territory.  I loved the crisp, fresh mountain air.  

Today would be the same - start with a run in the forest behind the castle.  After that, I planned on checking out the pool in the gym area.  

With that in mind, I got dressed for my day after a quick breakfast with Kat before she left. I put on my most modest bikini, an emerald green number with high waist bottoms and scalloped edges. I pulled on a white fringed cover-up over it and tied my curls in a messy bun.

After I slipped on a pair of flip flops, I quickly made my way out of my room. I had asked Tyler the second night where I could run. He told me I could run anywhere on the property, but that he preferred the area behind the castle. It was my favorite part of being here so far.  

Once I was outside, I made sure no one was around and stepped behind a large tree. I stripped off my swim suit and cover. I folded them next to the tree and began to pull my wolf forward. Within twenty seconds, I was no longer human. I shook out my brown fur and slowly began to trot forward. Eventually I gained speed and maneuvered around trees and brush as fast as I could.

I had to focus on my running. My every instinct now was fighting me to get to Finnian. I fought it off as I pushed my body as far as it could go.

I guess at some point, I had become so focused that my other senses had become dulled. I was startled when suddenly there was an ashy colored wolf running right next to me.

I stopped dead in my tracks, nearly falling over from the abruptness of it, and turned to the unfamiliar wolf, raising my hackles and snarling at him. He seemed unaffected. He even looked a bit entertained.