Chapter 13

Chapter Thirteen:

I just finished coating my lips in a soft pink lipstick when I heard a knock on my bedroom door.  I recapped the lipstick and smoothed out my modest blush pink lace dress. I matched it with a pair of white open toed heels, which were sitting by my bed.  I ran and slipped them on before opening the door to reveal Kat, Matt, and Dalton.  We greeted each other and walked together towards the banquet hall where the brunch was being held.  Tyler told us that it was usually outside, but since it was cold and drizzling outside, they moved it to one of the banquet halls instead.  It didn't take us too long to each the big, well lit room. One of the walls was made completely of windows, giving it a sunroom type of feel.

There were tables along the wall opposite of the windows, food and beverages sitting along them, much like a buffet. There was a coffee bar, which had any kind of hot beverage you could think of. Hot chocolate, hot tea, espresso. They even had the makings of iced coffee. Next to that, there was a waffle bar, with all kind of toppings and sauces. Anything you could think to put on a waffle, and even things you'd never think to, they had. I also saw an assortment of bagels, croissants, and scones. 

There were tables scattered around the room, covered in fancy white table cloths and colorful place settings. Some people were seated, but most were standing around in groups, talking and catching up.

My eyes unconsciously scanned the room for King Finnian, but I didn't see him. The only people around the room that I recognized were Nathan, Harrison, Tyler, and Lili. Lili and Nathan were talking to each other, both holding a cup of coffee, and Harrison was sitting at a table, booming laughter coming from him. He was sitting with a group of older men, probably close to his age.

There were waiters walking around, carrying trays and offering people food and drinks. They had mimosas and plain orange juice in champagne flutes. When a young girl, probably close to my age, walked in front of us, offering us one, I took a mimosa. Matt and Dalton declined, choosing to go get coffee instead, and Kat took an orange juice.

We thanked her and she walked off to serve someone else. I saw some of the other trays. They all had things that could be eaten standing up. I saw colorful fruit skewers, mini pancakes on a stick, mini quiches, cucumber sandwiches, mini yogurt parfaits in shot glasses, and several other finger foods that I didn't recognize. I grabbed a mini pancake skewer when another girl walked by. 

"Come on, I want to introduce you to Nathan. He's my sparring partner." I told Kat after I took a sip of my mimosa.

I held my now empty toothpick from my pancakes in the same hand as my glass and linked my arm with Kat. The guys were still getting their coffee and were now talking with a couple other guys.

We made our way across the room, to where Nathan and Lili were standing. They smiled when they saw us heading over. Nathan pulled me into a hug and I did the same to Lili.

"Kat, this is Nathan. Nate, this is my best friend and sister in law, Kat." I introduced.

"Nice to meet you." Kat smiled politely and held her hand out to shake his.

"You too. I've heard a lot about you." He shook her hand.

"All good things I hope." Kat laughed lightly.

"Fortunately, yes. Your sister, Selena, wasn't so lucky."

Kat lost her polite laugh and laughed for real. "Doesn't surprise me. They have a love hate thing, emphasis on the hate." She joked.

"If she's anything like this one, I can understand." He pointedly glanced over at me.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I asked, not sure if I should feel insulted or not.