Chapter Nineteen

Ashlynn's POV

"It's hurts," I whimper, the numb sensation ebbing into a fiery pain.

Her gentle hands brush away hair from my forehead, her hands soft as clouds. "I know Ash," my mom gives a small but comforting smile, "but we can be thankful you're going to be just fine. I'm here for you."

~

"It hurts," my throat almost choked on the short phrase and I rub my puffy eyes. "It hurts."

"Shh, I know," he strokes my head and lays down, "I know it hurts. Just let it all out Ash, I'm here for you."

I grab a fistful of his soft shirt and cry harder. I hadn't heard those words in forever, but yet they covered me in complete security, a reassurance that someone was there for me. "C-can we go for a w-walk?" I hiccup and look up at his eyes, aware of his dark lashes and smiling lips.

"We can walk for as long as you want Ash. I'll take you anywhere you want to go." He squeezed me tight and kissed my temple. He left so I could change, and in ten minutes we were walking past the shops and cafes, looking in windows and pointing at chalk drawings on the sidewalk. I feel his hand slip in mine, and when we both make eye contact, with broad smiles and sparkling eyes, I feel the lock of grief on my heart break off. The key was a eye crinkling smile that was meant for me.
~~~~~
Jack's POV

"Do you think we could stay out for a little longer? Just enough to see all the lights brighten up the streets?"

She looked as though she'd burst from her childlike excitement. I shrug, "if that's what you want..." She flings her arms around me, and looks up with admiration, setting off a knot in my stomach. In that moment I'm convinced that Ashlynn is the only one I want, from now until the day I die. I brush her hair from her eyes, and place my hands around her face, standing on the sidewalk with dozens of people watching, but who cares? "You know, I haven't had a kiss for a while now."

She raises her brow, "oh really? Do you even deserve one?" She bites her bottom lip and winks, causing heat to rise in my cheeks. I lean down to steal a kiss, but she wiggles away and steps away from me.

"C'mon Ash," I shrug my shoulders and lift my hands in defeat, "what's a guy gotta do?"

Her smile... It's makes her whole face just light up. When Ashlynn smiles, it's not just her lips, but her eyes seem to smile too. She pokes my chest, "public displays of affection make people very uncomfortable Wilder. It's just a fact that you'll have to accept."

I trap her hips in my grasp, and whisper into her ear, inhaling the scent of her pomegranate shampoo, "I was never one to listen to what I was told." Before she turns away I embrace her lips with mine, a giggle escaping her lips as she pulls away. Her green eyes are intoxicating, filling every breath I take and all I can think about is this girl in front of me, who has bewitched me, body and soul.

Ashlynn's laughing, "you're phones ringing pretty boy."

"Pretty boy?" I scoff as I answer. "Hello?"

"Where are you? Why didn't you tell anyone you left? Since when is it okay-"

"Danny, we just went out for a walk," I sigh and Ashlynn stand on her tiptoes to listen to the phone conversation.

"I'm having a really hard time believing you went out for, 'just a walk.'  Get back here now," and he hangs up.

"I'm sorry Ash, we've gotta go back."

She nods and starts walking off, "do we know how to get back?"

I take her hand in mine, "of course I know how to get back. Do you think I'd go somewhere and not remember how to get back?"

"We're going in the wrong direction."

I stop and start to turn around. Ashlynn laughs and squeezes my hand, and we walk, listening  to all the hustle and bustle until we reach a quiet sidewalk, the only sound being cats in the alleyways. Then it's the shuffling of feet. "'Hey sweetheart, where you headed?"

A frame clad in a baggy sweatshirt approaches us. All I can make out of his face is the stubble across his chin and yellowed teeth, sneering beneath the hood. Pulling her closer, I began walking faster, hearing him call out to us. I didn't notice he was following close behind until Ashlynn cried out when he pulled her hair and yanks hard enough to pull her towards him.

"Your wallet," he demands as he pins Ashlynn's arms behind her. She tries to shrug him off, but he's taller and bigger than she is, and Ashlynn can't over power him. "I said your wallet!"

Slowly I take it out, and I keep my eyes locked on my girl. "Just let her go and you've got whatever you want, alright?"

Ashlynn flops one of her arms out of his grip, and tries to plant her fist on his face. He throws her down with a sickening thud and steps on the back of her left knee. "Wallet."

I can feel my fingers slide into a fist, and take a step, the wallet outstretched. The thief snatches it, and I bring my arm back and strike him square on the jaw. "Don't touch my girl."

He scrambles away runs off into the night. I get down on my knees where Ashlynn lays, and pull her up and hold her close. "I'm so sorry."

She wraps her arms around my neck and buried her face near my collar bone. "We're both okay, that's all that matters Jack." I pull back and notice a little scratch near her eyebrow. She tells me she's fine, and I hug her tightly.

"You didn't give him your real wallet, did you?"

I chuckle. "No, I gave him one I picked off someone before we got here." I stand and carry her bridal style back to the hotel. She gets down and walks down the hallway.

"I'm glad you're okay," Ashlynn smiles when we approach the door. "Thank you." She gives a warm, sweet kiss before opening the door, leaving me with an idiotic smile and a bubbly, giddy feeling.

I love that girl.