Chapter 12

Tuesday morning they were sitting on the back porch drinking coffee and eating breakfast when the back gate opened and Lee entered the backyard. He didn't seem surprised to see Charlie sitting in one of Kellan's shirts while the two of them shared morning coffee.

"Is there more of that?"

"Inside," Kellan said, barely looking up from the paper he was reading.

Charlie wasn't sure how to react. It was her first time spending the night, make that three nights and two days, with a man. They had not left the house at all on Monday. If either man sensed her discomfort they didn't mention it as Lee grabbed his coffee then sat down across from Kellan.

When he remained silent sipping his coffee Charlie got the hint and rose from the table. "Well, I have a class in an hour and I am guessing that you two need to have a private conversation."

Kellan reached out and grabbed her arm pulling her down towards him in a kiss before she could get away, and Charlie was immediately lost in his taste. It wasn't until Lee cleared his throat and Kellan broke away from her with a wink that she remembered that they had an audience.

Charlie rinsed out her coffee cup then moved down the hall to the bedroom and grabbed her clothes stopping when she saw her reflection in the mirror. She didn't even look like herself. Her hair was a wild riot, her skin was flushed, and her eyes were bright. Was she glowing?

When she reached the bathroom and stripped for her shower she looked at her body again. It didn't look any different but it felt different. It felt alive. She was aware of her curves in a way she had never been before. Charlie shivered as she remembered how Kellan had taken his time over every inch of her. Jolting herself out of her reverie she jumped into the shower. She had less than an hour and she still had to swing by her room and get her books.

When she exited the backdoor dressed and ready to go it was to see the two men look up at her, both with serious looks on their face. Whatever they had been discussing was not pleasant.

"I have to go," she said, not wanting to interrupt them.

Kellan rose his mind on something else as he pulled her towards him and gave her a quick kiss.

"Bye Charlie," Lee said all seriousness.

She nodded towards Lee then quickly made her exit. She was late to class which was a first for her.

*******

Blanche had been trying to corner her all day and she had evaded her so far but by the last class of the day, Kellan's class, she caught her.

"Where were you all weekend Charlie? I tried to call you and even stopped by your room, but you weren't there."

"I went to see my parents," Charlie said, which wasn't exactly a lie but not the whole truth either.

"Hmmmm," Blanche said as she settled back into her seat looking at her strangely.

Charlie was already on edge, she didn't need Blanche adding to it by speculating. Any moment Kellan was going to walk in that door and she was going to have to play it cool. She was unsure if she was going to be able to manage it. All she had to do was remember the past two days, most of which had been spent almost entirely in his bed, and she started to blush.

"Well, I wanted to see if you were up for a drink." Blanche pulled out her phone to answer a text.

"I don't drink." Charlie responded automatically, not really paying attention to the conversation.

"You're so uptight Charlie. What would a little drink hurt? It might actually do you some good."

When the door opened, Charlie looked up to see her stepsister Laura as she entered the room followed by Kellan. She was dressed in a grey wool dress with knee high boots and pearls. Her hair was wound in a tight chignon and she looked every inch the Supermodel and Lady that Charlie's mother had always wanted her to be. Kellan was looking down at her listening to what she was saying. Her slight frame looked delicate next to Kellan's broad shoulders. Shoulders which were stretching his shirt to the max.