Chapter 21

Devon was telling Charlie something that one of the dogs had done the previous night and Charlie was laughing as they entered the classroom which only had a couple dozen students. The stood talking at the side of the room waiting for James to arrive, and Charlie noticed that Devon was getting admiring glances from some of the males in the room. Her thick auburn hair was pulled up on the sides and fell in waves past her shoulders and her tall lithe figure was clad in a pencil skirt and light pink sleeveless blouse. Her heels made her legs look like they went on forever. Charlie looked like her exact opposite, wearing a baby blue sundress with a matching sweater, flat sandals, and her hair tucked behind her ears. Devon shouted high class which was the direct opposite of Charlie's wholesome girl next door look.

After a few moments James walked in with an apologetic smile. "Sorry, we got caught up talking to another professor in the hall." The three of them talked for a moment and Charlie was wondering what the holdup was when the door to the classroom opened.

She immediately saw Devon tense and Charlie looked right over her shoulder into a pair of mossy green eyes. Eyes that did not mask their surprise quick enough.

It was evident that he hadn't planned to see her either. They stared at each other for a moment. Charlie felt her heart rate respond to him. He had shaved again and he must be back to his exercise routine because his t-shirt was just a little too tight.

She wanted to jump into his arms right there.

His eyes shifted to Devon and Charlie followed his gaze.

Devon looked from on to the other, her chin held high.

"Oh, Charlotte I'm sorry, this is Dr. Kellan Hilliard. He is teaching here starting next month and I am showing him the ropes. Kellan this is Charlotte Temple my guest speaker today and I think you know Devon."

"Devon." His voice was deadly calm as he looked back at Charlie. "I know Ms. Temple. She was a student of mine a few years ago."

Charlie could be formal too. "Dr. Hilliard." It had been so long since she had called him that in a classroom setting it jolted her.

"Small world," James said shaking his head.

"Not really, I introduced Devon to Ms. Temple and I take it Devon introduced you to her."

"Dr. Hilliard, I saved you a seat," A pretty blond coed said from behind them.

"Thank you Jessica, but I think I will sit with my friends this afternoon."

Either James was oblivious to the tension or he was pretending to be as he moved to the front of the classroom. Kellan motioned for Devon to proceed him to a seat and he put his hand under Charlie's elbow making sure she followed her. The three of them sat off to one side of the room, Kellan filling the seat on the end with his massive frame. Charlie clenched her jaw. She wanted to climb on top of him, touch him, and kiss him.

His arm brushed hers and she jumped.

Kiss me, kiss me, kiss me, she thought.

She looked up at him and his gaze fell to her lips as if he could hear her silent plea.

"Devon, do you want to explain the situation?"

"No."

"Charlie?"

She remained silent, watching James.

"So how was last night's date?" Devon leaned over and asked Charlie.

Charlie shot her a look that she wished would kill her. "It was fine," she muttered.

"Wasn't this your fifth?"