Chapter 19

Three days later Charlie found herself driving down a long dirt road with a cabin at the end of it. Her dinner with Julie had gone well and she had shared more with her than she had with anyone in a long time. There had been tears on both sides, but Charlie knew that she had finally gotten through to her.

The cabin looked deserted as she pulled up to it and cut the engine. The dogs were eager to get out of the car and so was Charlie. This was the second time she had traveled cross country with them and she swore never again.

As the dogs fell out of the car they caught Kellan's scent and were off like a shot towards the cabin. Charlie was as excited to see Kellan as they were but she was also anxious and when she reached the door her hand was shaking and her heart was racing. Taking a deep breath she tried the knob and it opened.

The house smelled musty and it was dark. The dogs raced ahead of her to a form laying on the floor, a pillow under his head. The pillow made her breath easy as she followed the dogs. He wouldn't have but a pillow under his head if... she couldn't even finish the thought as she knelt next to him. He smelled like whisky, he had a month's worth of beard on his face, and he looked like her Kellan; except around the eyes. His eyes looked drawn. She reached out and traced his face and his hand shot out and grabbed her wrist, his eyes flying open to meet hers.

"You're hurting me Kellan," she whispered.

Ares gave a growl and he sat up releasing her, looking around. "This isn't a dream?"

"No." Charlie rose and moved to open the curtains and let in some light.

He covered his eyes from the brightness. The dogs were tired of waiting as they both tried to climb in his lap and lick his face at the same time. When they smelled the whisky they snorted, sneezed, and walked away.

"I agree with them. You stink Dr. Hilliard."

He rose rubbing his face. His eyes landed on her and he stared at her vacantly.

After a moment she started feeling uncomfortable. "Are you hungry?"

"No." He was still staring at her.

"Well, I am. I'll cook us something. If you don't want it the dogs will eat it. Go take a shower and get cleaned up, you really do look awful."

He nodded, still in a daze as he wandered down the hall.

Charlie went out to the car and got the bag of groceries she had bought in the town as she drove through it. It would have to be simple bacon and eggs. The kitchen was a mess so she took a few minutes to straighten it out before she started cooking.

Ares barked at her when he started to smell the bacon frying in the pan.

"Stop sassing Ares, you're not getting my bacon." He barked again giving her the look. "Nope, not gonna happen you smelly mutt." As if to prove the smelly point he farted. "And you think that's going to convince me?" She turned around to look at Ares with a smile to find Kellan watching her. He had no expression on his face.

Charlie blushed at being caught talking to the dogs.

"You've spoiled him." His voice sounded rough as if he hadn't used it in a while.

"I have, and good luck with that."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, they're your dogs. I think you need them right now more than I do." She turned back to the bacon, doing her best to pretend that he wasn't there. Every nerve in her body was aching to touch him.

"What does that mean exactly?"

Charlie shrugged, putting the bacon on a plate and starting the eggs.