Chapter 1 - The Mysterious Girl

It was a cool, crisp night in Konoha. Everyone was peacefully sleeping, but not Shino. He couldn't sleep, no matter how hard he tried, he just couldn't fall asleep. It got to the point where he got up and went for a walk. He was heading towards the entrance, when he heard a great shriek. Probably a cat, he thought and walked on.

He reached the entrance to the village, and stared out, down the path. Taking in the shadows that danced across his way. A breeze whipped around, cool and calm. He inhaled deeply, taking note of the scents that came with it. Earth... dry leaves... blood? His eyes darted down the path to see a figure limping towards him. And behind them, five ninja in pursuit. In an instant, Shino rushed forward. He sent out his Kikaichu beetles out ahead to form a sphere around the front figure. The rogue ninjas came at Shino with everything, but they underestimate the son of the Aburame clan. He disposed four of the ninja, but one managed to escape. The ninja yelled, 'This isn't over! We will have her power!', before he fled into the night. Shino made sure there were no more rogue ninja, before he released his jutsu. Her power? The words echoed in his mind. He released his jutsu, but what he saw shocked him to the core.

He saw a young girl, about the same age as him. She had a slim figure and pale skin, long hair the colour of ebony, with hints of red glinting in the full moon. But that's not what shocked him. Protruding from her back, were great white wings. He wasn't dreaming was he? He blinked a few times, but they were still there. Her breathing was heavy and her body stiff. It was then he noticed it, she had blood all over her. Her right arm was sliced open, the wound gaping open. Her left leg appeared broken as it was red and swollen. Even one of her wings had been wounded.

For once Shino didn't think. He picked the girl up cautiously as so not to cause her pain. As he hoisted her up into his arms, a sharp breath came, but no scream. Then, like the wind itself on that cool, eventful night, Shino rushed her away to Konoha Hospital. Sakura Haruno, a classmate and fellow comrade, was on the night duty. He burst through the doors and straight up to her. He didn't even give her a chance to speak.

'I saved her from rogue ninja at the gates of the village. She is in severe pain,' Shino explained, in a calm voice. Sakura called for an emergency team, and asked for word to be sent to Lady Hokage. Lady Shizune was contacted as well. Within a few minutes, a stretcher was brought out. Shino had placed the girl on the stretcher and was about to step back when something caught his arms, he looked down to see two brown eyes staring at him. Before he could say anything, she spoke in a low voice.

'Thankyou, for saving me.'

After that, she passed out from exhaustion. With her medical team at the ready, Shino watched as they carried the mysterious girl away, led by Sakura and a just arrived Shizune. He waited until they were out of sight before he left to return home. On the way, however, questions swam through his mind tugging on is curiosity. Who is she? What did the ninja mean by "her power"? Why does she have wings? And what is this feeling?

The questions constantly echoed as he finally fell asleep that night, tomorrow, he would find out who she is, and what she is.

+

Shino woke up with the sun, early as the Aburame usually would; however he couldn't deny an overwhelming sense of curiosity this particular morning. Today was the day, he was going to see the mysterious girl he had saved last night. And find out exactly just who she was. He went to the bathroom, showered, brushed his teeth, got dressed and fixed up his hair. He walked downstairs to see his mum with a plate and a piece of toast.

'You won't be staying will you?' she asked. Whenever Shino wasn't staying for breakfast, his mum would know and have a piece of toast for him.

'No, I have something important to do this morning' he told her.