Chapter 28 - Return

Shino

When they returned to the village, the sun had started to rise in the sky, casting morning rays over the land. Shino and his friends walked up to the gates only to be swarmed by so many little kids, boys and girls from all over the village. Even Konohamaru and his friends were there. The kids surrounded the group, hugging each and everyone showing their gratitude. Shino was surprised when kids ran and hugged him as well smiling and crying at the same time. But the most beautiful sight was when Yukino became surrounded by those same children. Everyone stood back to marvel at the sight, the smile that she gave the kids was so warm and pure, it practically was glowing in the morning light. It was as if she had been gone for a long time and just returned. The moment would melt anyone's icy heart, and it did. Shino's heart melted with pure warmth when Yukino was embraced in a group hug by all the children.

The walk to Lady Tsunade's was an interesting one. Shino walked along with Shikamaru, Neji and Yukino towards the Hokage mansion, while they were heavily followed by children. Some even were holding Yukino's hand, obviously happy to have her back Shino guessed. When they arrived Yukino had to push the children away as they didn't want to leave her, but when she asked, they reluctantly left. They walked up to the Hokage's office door and knocked, when they were given permission they entered leaving Yukino for last.

'You're back, did you succe-' Tsunade's words were cut short when Yukino stepped up to the desk.

'My lady, do you have any requests for the festival in three days, at this rate, I will be late in setting everything up,' she asked.

Lady Tsunade slammed her hand on the desk and stood, 'You were captured, you have just returned and that's the first thing you ask me?!' she came around the desk furiously anyone would've thought Yukino was gonna get hit, but she just hugged Yukino instead.

'My lady?'

'You do realise you worried half the village, constantly asked if you have been returned.' Tsunade held Yukino at arms-length, 'Especially the children, you worried them sick.'

'That we kinda gathered ourselves,' Shikamaru said scratching the back of his neck.

'We all we swarmed by the children of the village, we hadn't even walked through the gate yet,' Shino explained.

'I see, I wouldn't blame them, they tell me she is the best thing that has happened in this village since the day I became Hokage, and that's saying something,' Tsunade said as she sat back down.

'I am grateful to this village, for all you have done for me. But when I found out about my true home, that it still existed, I had the feeling that maybe I still had family left there. I am too young to travel there on my own, with yet to be controlled power. Consider me on the same level as the Hokage and Feudal Lords.' Yukino walked towards an open window Shino's eyes always on her, 'I have decided in a few years, I shall return to my village. If they are in need of a priestess to lead them then it is my duty as next in line after my mother,'' she turned, her choice made all over her face.

'The Village Hidden in the Fields. I have heard stories that it's the most sacred of all the villages in the Land of Rivers. But are you sure you want to return, what if they do not accept you?' Tsunade asked.

'She raises a valid point Yukino, you may be taken and used as a weapon,' Shino agreed.

He went a little stiff when she approached him and touched his cheek, her smile was soft and sweet and it made him go numb throughout his body. The snickers from Shikamaru didn't help the situation either.

'I understand that you're worried for me but if they're in danger, it is my duty as the last of the Kiminate clan to protect them.' Shino wanted to keep that smile away, along with his friend.