Chapter 8 - Training

'We're done for the day, I'm beat,' Kiba said, trying to catch his breath.

'Me too, we started at six this morning, and it's already midday,' Hinata was sitting against a tree, sipping slowly on her water.

'So Shino, what are you gonna do after this? I'm going to get lunch, wanna come with?' Kiba asked as he leant on Akamaru for a little support.

'Not today, I am going to help Kakashi sensei train Yukino. Lady Tsunade wants her to be able to protect herself when she gets sent on missions with us.'

'Missions? But she isn't a ninja, she can't do missions. And some of then will be very dangerous even. Do you think she can do it?' Hinata asked.

'That is true, but she is now a part of the village; and she wants to help her new home in any way possible. And yes, I think she can,' Shino explained.

'Well, won't that be exciting. What's Kakashi teaching her?'

'I'm not sure, but I best get going. I don't want to be late.'

'See ya, Shino!' Kiba called.

'Bye, Shino!' Hinata called as she waved.

It had been three days since that night, on the roof with Yukino. Shino could still hear his own words echo through his mind,' I will never let that happen! You are not a monster, would you have all these friends here for you if you were? You are someone I enjoy to be around, you always wear a smile, regardless of what you have gone through. No matter where you are, no matter what you do, I will always be your friend...' He had told her that because she wanted to die, she thought herself a monster. But Shino could see that she was something special, and monster wasn't one of them. She is someone I have to protect... he thought to himself. His mind started to wander while thinking about her, something that didn't happen too often. Walks through the fields outside the village... bubbling creak... cliff edge in sunset... Yukino getting closer to Shino's face-

No, now was not the time for his fantasies to run wild. He would exercise more caution later, now was training time for Yukino. Honing her skills was number one priority right now, and Shino would do everything in his power to help her train hard. He had arrived at the training grounds. This time, it was the area where team ten always trained, with great trees and a small lake. Yukino was already there, waiting for him and Kakashi sensei. As usual, Kakashi sensei was late, but that didn't stop Yukino's eager intentions to train.

Shino approached her cautiously, he was going to test her reflexes and her sensing ability. He slowly drew a kunai and tossed it at her, almost instantaneously she dodged it and crouched into a defensive position. It was then Shino noticed something odd... something unnatural... while her face was in concentration, the air around her seemed to be vibrating with energy and power. As he looked harder at her, before she relaxed, he noticed that her hair was floating ever so slightly around her. He couldn't get a better look, because she had relaxed and returned to the smiling, happy person he had come to know.

'Hello, Shino,' she said cheerfully as she practically bounced over to him, 'what was the kunai for?'

'It was to test your sensory skills and reflexes. And from what I have gathered, those skills seem to be pretty high, for someone who isn't a ninja,' he told her.

She looked down a little, as if she was thinking of what to say next, 'I don't know how, but I could feel it moving through the air, and I could hear it slicing the air too, that's how I knew it was coming. Could it have something to do with my powers?'

'Possibly,' he replied.

A little while later, Kakashi sensei arrived for Yukino's training, the first training regiment would be chakra control. Her first test was to stand on water. He explained it to her, but she didn't quite get it.

'Try picturing your chakra, then picture it travelling to the soles of your feet,' Shino explained to her.

She understood this and instantly ran to the water's edge. Her wings were tucked to her back, has she made a hand sign and stepped onto the water's surface. Almost instantly, she fell in with a loud splash. Shino wanted to rush forward and help her, but she was already out and trying again. This went on for thirty minutes, until Yukino finally managed to stand atop the water's surface. She was so happy, that she jumped and danced around on the water. Just then, the water seemed to rise and dance around her as well. Both Shino and Kakashi were surprised at this, but Yukino didn't seem to mind, as she kept dancing. First, the roses, then hearing through the air, now water following her every move, there seemed to be a connection between them. Kakashi sensei picked up on this as well and called Yukino over.

'I want you to take this, and hold between your fingers,' he said, as he gave Yukino a piece of paper.

'What's this?' she asked, as she looked the paper over.

'This is a special type of paper. It tells you your affinity, or chakra nature that you have. Try focusing on the paper with your chakra. Then we will be able to figure out jutsu training for you.'

Shino watched as Yukino concentrated hard on the slip of paper. Then all of a sudden, the paper split in two. He was about to say something when the paper shifted again. One half was wet, then it was set aflame and turned into ash. The other half crumpled then turned into dirt and crumbled away. Shino took the words before Kakashi could say them.

'She's a Kekkei Genkai, for all the chakra natures,' he said with utter surprise.

'Impossible! You can only have two releases. You are lucky to have three, but all five? How is this possible, she is...' Kakashi trailed off not knowing the words to say, 'We have to tell Lady Tsunade about this.'

'I agree, this makes her safety even more impetuous,' Shino replied.

'She will need to have tests done one her-'

'NO!' Kakashi was interrupted by a great shriek. Shino looked to see Yukino quickly backing away, 'no tests, no experiments, no studies! NO!' and just like that, Yukino ran away at top speed.

The entire rest of the day was spent looking for Yukino. Yet she was nowhere to be found. The park was searched, the stores, Ino's family shop, the ramen house, training ground three, the Great Stone Faces, the Hokage building, the bath house, everywhere. She was nowhere to be found. Even Neji's and Hinata's Byakugan couldn't find her. By the end of the day, the entire village was searched from top to bottom. Even the fields outside the village were searched, but nothing. Shino was starting to get worried, but he didn't show it. Shino watched as his exhausted friends and senseis dispersed to their homes to rest up. Even Shino had to head home himself. Why did she run away? What was said to make her react that way? Is she safe? Where could she be?

Shino was so worried for Yukino, that he didn't even eat his meal. He just went upstairs, showered then laid in bed. He didn't bother to put a shirt one, enjoying the chill of his room on his bare chest. The swarm of bugs he sent out to search for Yukino, buzzed through the tiny gap in his window and returned to their leader. They had found no trace of her chakra, it was like she had just vanished. Shino didn't have time to worry, his fatigue had caught up to him as he drifted off into a deep sleep. 'Yukino... Yukino... Yukino... where did you go....' he muttered as he fell asleep that night, one thought one his mind: Yukino.