Chapter 16: Rich People Problems

Lacy was waiting for me the second I showed up at work, and it became apparent that I couldn't procrastinate the awkward conversation any longer. How did one go about telling their friend and client that her fiancé tried to lock you in a bathroom and feel you up? That seemed like a conversation that needed wine, but all I had was a cubicle with some tissues. She looked upset, and I wondered what she already knew.

"Hey," I said. "We should speak in private...We can go in the conference room."

"Ok," Lacy said, following behind me. "I think that would be good." I closed the door behind us and tried my best to smile at Lacy. It fell flat, and there was clear tension between us. I'd been victimized by Jerry, so why did I feel so much guilt.

"I know what he did," Lacy said. "And I walked out on him last night."

"Wow, good for you Lacy," I said. 'Don't worry about a thing, I'll cancel all the caterers and everything else..."

"Don't" Lacy said. "Have you watched the news today?"

"No, I don't really watch the news in the morning. Usually I just shower and make coffee..."

"Jerry checked into rehab," Lacy said. "He's trying to get better."

"I'm glad he's getting help," I said. "But it doesn't make it all better. Lacy, does Jerry even love you?"

"I thought he didn't, I thought I was done. But Ann, Jerry checked into rehab for me. He left me a voicemail, apologizing and saying he was going to quit drinking. When he's sober, he's a different man. I know once he gets help we can be stronger."

"Lacy...I think you're scared to admit it's already over. Even if he gets sober, he'll always be an alcoholic."

"Maybe, but he can be good..."

"He tried to attack me, Lacy. Does that register with you? He isn't a good guy. Even if he gets sober, what if he drinks someday and gets rough with you? But to be honest with you, he wasn't that drunk yesterday. I think he knew exactly what he was doing."

"No," Lacy said. "I know it's hard to understand, but I love him. He promised me nothing would happen like this again, and if you decide to plan our wedding, he'll be good."

"I'm off the wedding," I said. "Which is not good for me, I'll probably lose my job. But I cannot and will not help you ruin your life Lacy."

"It's my choice," Lacy said. "If you're my friend, you'll support that and want to be a part of it."

"I can't," I whispered. "Even if I could handle you marrying some jerk, I don't trust him. I'm scared to be around Jerry."

"Ann...He isn't what you think. I swear, he's a nice guy deep down."

"Well I prefer the nice guy on the surface. Honestly Lacy, the whole bad boy thing isn't cute in your thirties. It's dysfunctional."

"We're both twenty-nine."

"Still, he knows better than to treat women like that..."

"So you're not going to plan my wedding, no matter what?"

"I don't know Lacy," I said. "I'm honestly astounded there still is a wedding."

"Look, Jerry is in rehab for two weeks. I can't do the wedding by myself, especially with him gone. Why don't you help me with the next two weeks, and then you can quit if you'd like. You never have to see Jerry Jensen again."

"I don't know," I said. I was honestly torn. On principle, I didn't support the marriage. On the other hand, I thought Lacy deserved to have someone who actually cared about her on her wedding day, helping her through it. And I could possibly keep my job if I ended Lacy's account on good terms.