Chapter 19: A Few Choice Words

I had called Andrew seven times and had driven home just to see if he was still there. It seemed odd to me that the one day everything was going wrong, he disappeared. I saw a note on the table in my apartment, but there was no Andrew. It simply read “I had fun last night. I’ll be with Steven today. See you later, Beautiful.” As far as I could tell, there was no drama going on. Andrew probably wasn’t answering his phone because he was out having fun, not because he saw a tabloid with photos that made it seemed like I was sleeping with my formerly engaged coworker. I still felt in my gut that something was off. My phone rang and I answered it, too nervous to even check the caller id.

“Andrew?” I asked. I heard a soft female chuckle on the other line.

“No dear, it’s Susan,” my Dad’s girlfriend said. “Are you alright?”

“Yeah, I’m just having a bad day.”

“It doesn’t have anything to do with that sketchy magazine article about you, does it?”

“Yes, does Dad know? This day has gone bad so quickly.”

“Your father doesn’t know. A friend of mine compulsively reads tabloids at the grocery store, and she called me. But don’t worry, they say crazy things about Angela all the time. It will blow over.”

         “So is that why you’re calling?” I asked, feeling a lecture coming on.

“No dear,” she said. “I have good news. Ann, I have found the perfect job for you. I know you have a job, but this would be a better position and would allow you to truly shine.”

“Well, I practically got fired an hour ago because of that article, so I’ll do anything at this point.”

“My friend Clara works as a secretary for a small church, Los Angeles Church of Christ. I know it sounds silly, but this church is booked for weddings forty weekends out of the year. I guess it’s because LA is so big or because it’s a lovely building, but they are having trouble juggling all of these weddings. They’ve voted on it, and it is in the budget to hire a salaried wedding coordinator.”

“Wow, a wedding coordinator for a church,” I said.  “That sounds lovely. And I’d probably get to work with nice, normal couples.”

“And they have to believe in monogamy and respect,” Susan added. “I understand your rich clients don’t always have those prerequisites.”

“Wow,” I said. “That’s what I’ve always wanted to do. Will they hire me? I don’t have a degree…”

“I told them all about you, and showed them the video of Angie’s wedding. Clara would like to meet with you today if you have time.”

“I have nothing but time. Thank you, Susan. Seriously, you’ve made my dream come true if this happens.”

          “Well, I missed most of your life, so I had to be a good aunt sometime.”

“Please, you’re practically my stepmom.”

“Well, perhaps that is so. But I prefer Aunt Susan, it feels more respectful towards your mom.”

“Thank you,” I said. “If you text me the address, I can be over there within the hour.”

“I’ll arrange it!”
I was still perturbed by Andrew’s sudden radio silence, but I was excited to see if I could turn my day around. I might not need Lucinda Del Vaughnn’s highly sought after recommendation at all.

***

             I walked into the church, realizing immediately why it had weddings booked solidly for the majority of the year. It had large steeples, stain glass window, gorgeous oak pews. The aisle was long and the arches on behind the pulpit looked like the perfect setting to make a promise to someone. I’d seen several weddings in different venues: hotels, beaches, resorts. Not a single one could capture the aura this little church had with no decorations or makeup.