Chapter 24: Three Amigos

I called Suzy on the car ride to Robert's house, filling her in. She was quiet, and for once, I couldn't gauge her reactions.  

"Ann, Robert called you. He obviously trusts you and wants your help. I don't know what to tell you, but you have to figure out how to help him."  

"I know, but I'm young and naïve," I said. "This is so tragic, and I don't know what to say. Besides, I think Robert needs a support system. As sad as it is, you and I are his closest work friends, and I think another kind face will help." 

"He is still sort of furious at me for telling him about Lucy," Suzy said. "I mean, ignorance could have been bliss for him, right? He might not want to see me after obtained his life." 

"I didn't know you and Robert were fighting." 

"Well, sometimes when you have your own stuff going on and you don't notice my stuff." 

"I'm sorry," I said. "Look, I'm working on being a better, more attentive friend. But seriously, I need some backup tonight." 

"Fine," Suzy said. "Promise me I won't be a third wheel, ok?

"Even if Robert and I were a thing, I think he'll be out of dating commission for a while. Seriously, this is a friend thing. Besides, I can't buy alcohol and you can."  

"Ok," Suzy said. "I'll be over with wine and casserole. You bring people casseroles when something bad happens, its standard procedure."  

"See, I would've never thought of that," I said.

I hung up and pulled in, not bothering to ring the doorbell. I'd been Robert's house enough times in our relationship that I felt ok meandering in.

"Robert," I called out, finding him on his couch, staring off vacantly.  

"Ann," he said, standing up. "Thanks for coming over, I honestly don't know what to do with myself."

"It's ok," I said, grabbing him for a hug. His arms tightened around me, and it felt different than every other hug we'd shared. It was not passionate nor was it a message of hidden feelings, it was just moment in which I could feel his sadness and tried to help.

"I just, I feel like a jackass," Robert said. "Maybe if I hadn't broken up with Lucy or if she'd been less stressed..." 

"Miscarriages happen a lot Robert. It's not your fault, at all." 

"Lucy blames me," Robert said. "The worst part is that on some level I'm relieved. I mean, I really wanted to be a dad, you know. I wanted the baby. But I didn't want to be tied to Lucy forever. You know she didn't even tell me, I had to find out through my mother."

"I'm sorry," I said. "Someday, you'll have another baby, I promise. And I bet that your future baby momma will be wonderful. You didn't cause this, bad things just happen sometimes."

"But I feel like shit," Robert said.

"That's ok, you probably need time to grieve. Robert, just promise me you won't check out on me. I know your family is, well, I know your mother. But you have people, me and Suzy."

"Suzy probably hates me," Robert said. "I said some pretty cruel things to her." 

"When did all of this Suzy-Robert drama happen? I thought we were the group, the three amigos!" 

"Wasn't it usually just Suzy trying to figure out if we were on again or off again?"

"She is a snoop," I said. "But maybe we should be our own little group. Awkward dating history aside, I love you both. The only good memories I have are from us hanging out at work, and it's the only part I miss."