Chapter 22: For the Record

I opted to take the next day off and spend with my dad. Sure, I only had unpaid sick time, but I was next to worthless in current emotional state. We were reading the paper when I heard the doorbell ring.
"Are you expecting visitors?" I asked, curious.
"Susan is visiting me again, since Angela and Joel are back from their honeymoon."
"I almost completely forgot they were coming back a few days before Joel went back on tour. I'm a crappy cousin."
"You're a forgetful human with her own life, dear."
"I'll get it," I said, smiling. I rose form my seat, opening the door to see my aunt and cousin, along with Angela's twins in a stroller.
"Babies," I yelled, leaning over to pick up Angela's daughter, Blake. She immediately snuggled into my arms, and I took a whiff of the baby smell as she did this. "Hey guys. It's good to see you too."
"Sorry Joel couldn't come," Angela said. "He said Andrew is having some sort of a crisis. Ann, what is going on with your boyfriend?"

"I don't really want to talk about it," I said. I almost clarified that he was no longer my boyfriend, but I didn't.
"Ok," Angela said. "I just don't get it. Joel hasn't been this worried since...well, it's been a while since Andrew's had any trouble."
"Probably since the last time Emily had him on her puppet strings," I added. Susan looked at and Angela and I, but then continued on to hug my Dad.
"What do you mean, Ann?" Angela asked. "Is he back with Emily? How is that possible since three days ago you were waking up with him in your bed?"
"Ann did what with who in her bed?" Dad asked, never missing a detail. "Young lady, what is Angela talking about?"
"Nothing," I said. "Andrew was over late, so I let him sleep over. Nothing but sleep happened."
"That's probably for the best since he broke your heart," Dad said. "I think I might need to have a word with that boy after all."

"No," I said resolutely. "I appreciate everyone's concerns, but this problem is between Andrew and myself. I screwed it up, and maybe Andrew decided to run off with his ex-girlfriend before trusting me, but it's still my fault he's gone. So, can we just stop talking about how I managed to scare off the one guy I felt like I could be myself around?"

I was on the verge of tears, and everyone stopped to stare at me, including little Blake who was still snuggled up to me. My dad smiled, as if to say he understood.
"Ann," Angela said. "Don't give up. Joel and I had our ups and downs, and your parents survived cancer treatments together. The truth is that whatever happened, it can be fixed."
"There was nothing to fix," I said. "We just had a false start. I thought I felt something, but if he felt the same, Emily wouldn't be over at his house."

"Ann, I don't think that's true..."
"Let's talk about other things," Susan said. "How'd the job interview go Ann?"

And with that, we stopped discussing Andrew Sinclair. Deep in the pit of my stomach though, I felt like the discussion wasn't over completely.

***

Later that afternoon, after much prompting from my cousin, I agreed to come to dinner at her house. I was partly afraid that Joel was going to hate me just like Steven did, but I came. I was chit chatting with her about her honeymoon when Joel came in, and he wasn't alone. Andrew was walking behind him, looking fresh and handsome. It struck me that when I looked in the mirror right now, my face was blotchy from crying and my eyes were dark with regret and weariness. But Andrew looked better than ever; maybe Emily was right for him.

"Hey boys," Angela said. Andrew's eye caught mine, and I looked down immediately. I couldn't look at him, not without potentially bursting into tears.
"Hey Angela," Andrew said. "I didn't know she'd be here."
"I'll leave," I said, standing up and grabbing my purse. "I don't want to ruin your evening."

"No, stay," Angela said. "I asked Joel to bring Andrew here, to get you two in the same room."
"I don't care if you're here, Ann," Andrew said. "I'm over it."
Three little words, like tiny daggers digging into my heart. I shook my head, feeling tears prick my eyes.
"Well, I'm not," I said. I practically ran from the room, hiding in the nearest bathroom to hide my sadness. It was pathetic, and moments later, I heard a knock on the door. I was still a blubbering idiot, so I said nothing.
Slowly, the doorknob turned and I tried to splash my face with water and take a deep breath. But as he entered in the bathroom, his smell overwhelmed me and it made everything so much worse. Days ago, I'd been kissing him and smiling. Now all of those memories made me feel like I could throw up because everything was so wrong now, and I didn't know what to do.

"Hey," Andrew said. "I wasn't trying to be a jerk out there. I just, we're going to have to learn how to be around each other Ann. Joel is still my best friend, and you're still Angela's cousin. I mean, the twins will have birthday parties and stuff, and we'll be bumping into each other."
"Fine," I said. "It's not that I don't want to see you, it just, it hurts..."
I felt pathetic admitting it, but I could barely look at him.
"I'm sorry," Andrew said. "Look, I'm not angry with you. I realize that you'll probably get back together with Robert, and it's ok. I get it."

"No, you still don't," I said. "I still don't want Robert. I didn't cheat on you Andrew. Yes, I picked Robert up when he got drunk after his breakup because no one else cared, but not because I love him. I do that sort of thing, help people when it's inconvenient."
"So why'd you lie about it? I mean, Ann, I've tried to believe you. But you work with him, he shows up at your house in the middle of the night, you helped him get into a hotel room and 'forgot' to tell me. Then to top it off, he informed me that he was determined to get you back and then I see you kissing him. Put yourself in my shoes, what would you believe?"
"I know," I said. "I told you, my life is messy. It's about to get a lot simpler with my new job, since I won't be working with the Del Vaughnns. But still, I didn't intentionally deceive you. I should have told you about the hotel, but I was upfront about everything else. If you'd just answered your phone, I could have explained it all."

"Ann, I have a hard time trusting people. And I know that you believe that you're over Robert, but I saw what I saw. You didn't exactly cringe from that kiss. I think on some level you still love him, and he still loves you. In the long run, I did you a favor."

"Stop telling me what I feel about Robert," I cried. "You just want to justify yourself. If you wanted Emily, you should have just broken up with me. I mean, I get it, she's gorgeous and you have a history."
"You don't know anything about Emily, or what is going on."
"I know you didn't waste time before sleeping with her."
"Right, and I'm sure you and Robert just held hands at that hotel," Andrew sneered. I stood up.
"Is that what you think? You think I slept with someone else while we were together."
"A picture says a thousand words," Andrew said. "And it looked like you had a reason to lie about seeing Robert that night."

"I know you have trust issues, but I'm not Emily. It bothers me that you think so little of me." I opened the door, walking past him. Angela and Joel were whispering, and clearly, we'd made them uncomfortable with our fight.
"I'm sorry guys," I said. "Someday I promise, Andrew and I will learn to get along. But I can't see him right now."
"I didn't do anything wrong," Andrew said. "You're the one who slept with your ex-boyfriend."
Hearing him say those words made me shake with anger, and Angela covered her mouth with her hands. Joel looked away, awkwardly.
"Ann wouldn't do that," Angela said. "I don't know what you think you know Andrew, but if you think she was going to give up her virginity to some loser in a hotel."
"Angela," I shouted. "I told you that in confidence."

Everyone was quiet, and Andrew was sitting silently, wheels turning in his head. Somehow hearing the word "virgin" suddenly made me a credible source, apparently. So just in case I hadn't been humiliated enough, now two more people knew personal information about me. I didn't care at this point if he suddenly believed me, I couldn't let go the things he'd done and said.

"Ok, I officially have to leave now. Have a nice life with Emily, Andrew. I think she's going to hurt you, and I hope you're careful. I understand that you..." My voice broke as I spoke. "I understand that you don't want me, but I hope you find someone who really cares about you. You deserve to be with a good girl, someone who sees you as more than a checkbook. Angela, I'm sorry I brought so much drama to your house."

I walked out, trying not to bother wiping the tears down my face. I could hear someone calling my name as I left, but I didn't stop. I couldn't bear to hear what else Andrew Sinclair thought of me. So just in case he had other deep seeded suspicions and resentful quips, I got in my car and drove away. It seemed that all Andrew was to me these days was the person standing in the rearview mirror.

***

I was waiting at the diner for twenty minutes, stirring my coffee and watching the people. It sounded pathetic, but being in public helped me calm down. When you're be yourself, it's ok to fall apart and dissect every decision you've ever made. In public, you have to focus on other things. The doorbell chimed, and I saw my friend walk in, but it wasn't the person I'd been expected.
"You're not Suzy," I said. "I'm busy hating men right now, so you really shouldn't be here."
"Ann," Robert said. "Suzy is in meetings right now, ones you're supposed to go to, by the way. But she told me you needed to talk to someone, and she sent me along. So, I'm sorry I'm the wrong gender, but I'm a good listener."
"But when I bitch about this asshole named Robert who ruined my life, it's bound to get awkward."
"Not really," he said. "I can own it. I've been an asshole, and I realize that. I'm sorry."
"Thanks," I whispered quietly. "You're not alone."

"Would it help if I told you how I've screwed up my own life as well?"
"It might," I said.
"Well let's see, where do I start? My pregnant ex-fiancé, who was a rebound girl to begin with, won't speak to me at all. In addition to not speaking to me, she's already gotten her ex-boyfriend Pierre to volunteer to be stepdad, so reconciliation is absolutely not an option. The girl I actually care about is sad, because of me. Of course the only silver lining is my mother's decision to move to London. She's always wanted to move there. She told me, and I quote, "I'm not staying in Los Angeles for some bastard grandchild." So, I am universally hated."
"Robert," I said. "I'm so glad your mom is leaving. I think that deserves a toast." I raised my coffee cup and Robert chuckled.

"Robert, do you think I'm a good person?"
"Are you kidding me? You wrecked your bumper for a squirrel, Ann. You are relentlessly compassionate, and you never give up. I think it took you months before you gave up hope on befriending my mother, which is probably a world record."
"I just, maybe I shouldn't talk to you about this..."
"Go ahead," Robert said. "I promise, I am done in my crazy quest to win you back. I mean, if you change your mind about us, I'll always love you. But I ended up hurting you by my pursuits, and I am truly sorry Ann. I was selfish."
"I forgive you," I said. "Friends?"
"Friends," Robert said. "So why are you, my friend Ann, so concerned about whether or not you're a good person?"
"It's just Andrew," I said. "It was so easy for him to believe I was cheating in him and lying. And I did lie, a tiny white lie, but still. I didn't tell him about the night I picked you up from the bar. Maybe I deserved to be dumped."

"We all make mistakes," Robert said. "But Ann, you're the most honest, good girl I know. I wouldn't give up on Andrew, maybe he'll come around. Never say never, right?"

"Right," I said. "Never say never. But in all honesty, I think we're done. We weren't together long to begin with, and there's more broken pieces than happy memories."

"Well, you're young," Robert said. "Just take some time to enjoy your life. You have good friends, a nice family, and you just got your dream job. A little time and you'll feel better. Maybe, you'll even stop hating your friend Robert."
"I don't hate you," I said. "I hope to stay in touch with you and Suzy. I am going to miss you guys, even if that's the only thing I'll miss."
"Well, I know one thing," Robert said. "With you and my mother gone, work is going to be much quieter."

I threw a packet of sugar at in him in mock disgust, laughing as I did so.

"Thanks for talking to me," I said. "I still feel half dead, but I think I'll survive."
"Anytime, Ann Blake, Anytime."
I went home that night, still thinking of my time with Robert and smiling. I knew that I would never want to be with him again, not after everything and the drama that came attached to the Del Vaughnn family. But Robert was a part of my heart and my history, and I hoped someday he could be a good friend. I didn't know what would happen with him and Lucy, but I felt better knowing I was out of the equation. I actually thought after a good session of laughing and sharing horrible break up stories, I felt better. I might even fall asleep without crying.

I walked up my stairs, seeing something with a bow resting outside my door. As I got closer, my chest tightened at the sight. It was Andrew's guitar, the one I'd fallen in love with when we played together. It was still just as beautiful and brought forward the memory of our jam session. I touched the wood, and pulled off the big red bow tied to the neck. A small hand written note was attached, and I open it slowly.

I'm sorry.
Consider this a peace offering.
I'll feel better knowing you can still play guitar, because you've got some real musical potential.

-Andrew

P.S.

For the record, I NEVER stopped wanting you. I don't think I ever will.

I closed the note, utterly confused and too exhausted to figure out what he could have meant. I went inside and played with my new toy, trying hard to play until painful thoughts of its previous owner vanished.

(((OK,

Hello! I noticed no one has commented for several chapters, so you guys are being so shy. I appreciate votes and reads, but I'd love to hear from you. So if you have nothing else to say, let me know what you think with a quick poll:

Which team are you on, Team Robert, Team Andrew, or Team Ann( in which she stays single)

1) Team Robert

2)Team Andrew

3)Team Ann-gets-single

Let me know y'all. And just FYI, there will be five more chapters, and 2-3 bonus chapters. Love y'all))))