Chapter 23: The Sushi Assualt

I always thought my first trip on a first class flight would be peaceful, and quiet. As Lacy and I rode on the plane, she was talking a million miles an hour about all things wedding. If Suzy had come along as planned, I would have been able to shift some of her questions and concerns to her new planner, but instead I had a half snoring Robert sitting to my right. When I'd called Suzy that morning, she's informed me she had the flu and couldn't come. Robert volunteered to come, claiming that he wanted to get away from Lucinda and some of the LA drama in his life. He wasn't wrong about the drama; he'd become stalked regularly by French journalists interested in the complex love triangle Prince Pierre was involved in. I didn't press for details about how Robert was handling his pregnant ex-fiancé getting engaged, because we were doing well with the healthy distance model of friendship. Mostly, I didn't feel like sharing details about Andrew, not when I was utterly confused. He had been so angry, so hateful, and then the guitar left on my doorstep. I'd heard of passive aggressive anger, but how did I respond to an almost love note? I never stopped wanting you. I'd reread that note until the page was worn and tattered, trying to dissect every loop and period. Despite his almost declaration, nothing had changed. He was with Emily, unofficially, and that stung.

I guess Robert and I had more in common than ever, thanks to his escapades. Because of Robert's refusal to let me go easily, both of our love interested became interested in someone else. Lucky for him, he'd already apologized and I was over it. None of these thoughts related to the seating arrangements, as Lacy loudly pointed out to me.

"Hello! Earth to Ann!" She snapped her fingers. "Are you even listening?"

"I'm sorry," I said. "It's hard to focus with Robert snoring in my ear."

"Ooh, let's talk about that, since you're clearly in your own world anyways."

"I'm sorry Lacy," I said. "Really, I'm not trying to be selfish."

"Its fine, Ann. Besides, I probably need a break from wedding talk or I'm going to start getting grey hairs. So why don't you fill me in, what is going on with Mr. Armani and the rock star?"

"Well, Mr. Armani and I have become friends again, just friends," I emphasized the last part. "And Andrew, well, he is back with his ex-girlfriend, I suppose. He dumped me, then hooked up with her. But it's got me confused because he left me a present."

"A present? What kind of present did he leave you?"

I opened my purse and pulled out the note, gingerly unfolding it as if it was gold.

"He gave me his favorite guitar, and it had this note on top," I handed it to her.

"Ann, this is sweet," she said. "How have you not run over to his hands and banged on his door. I don't care if some skank is holed up there, kick her out and take you man back."

"I'm not the 'fight for your man' kind of girl. If he wants me, he can come and get me."

"I wish I was that secure," Lacy said. "I'm of a mind that guys need help, coaching if you will. I won't wait around until he decides to give me what I want."

"How is Jerry, by the way?"

"Fine."

"So rehab is going well."

She just nodded and I could tell that her fiancé was off limits for conversation. Wedding talk was enthusiastic, but one mention of the groom and Lacy became a different woman.

"Well," I said. "I'll keep you posted if anything happens with Andrew. But for now, I'll have to let you and 'Mr. Armani' keep me company."

"I wouldn't write of our sleeping friend," Lacy said. "He's kind of cute, and rich you know."