Chapter 3

My first period class was Math, when Byanca and I walked in all the attention was turned to us. I hated having so many eyes on me, I felt like I was being suffocated with a pillow. I could hear my heart in my ears and feel the sweat on my palms as I walked over to the teacher with Byanca. A boy whistled, causing my eyes to drop to the ground and my heart to hammer in my chest, was this behavior normal in school?

The teacher seemed to finally notice us, she was a very small elderly woman. Her nose was skinny and long either a sharp bridge. Her eyes were also sharp and seemed to pierce through you. She had no laugh lines, so I assumed she was always angry or frowning, and when she walked she seemed to hobble as if he skinny legs couldn't support her round upper body.

"You must be Nakita." She said, her voice hollow and grumbly.

"Nikita." I corrected her politely, adding a small smile to show respect.

She obviously didn't care for my politeness, and began scolding me for no apparent reason. "How dare you Nakita, do you think I went through several years in college for a dimwit student to correct me on my pronunciation? I will not stand I'm front of my class and be embarrassed by you, I have no idea how they taught back in Ireland but I will not stand for this!" She shouted at me, slamming her fist onto the table at the last word.

I jumped, blinking at her with surprise. Stealing a glance at Byanca, it was obvious that this sort of thing happens a lot. Byanca didn't look surprised at all, she just stood with her arms crossed and held a bored expression on her face. She didn't meet my gaze when I looked at her, so I just turned back to the woman.

This school so far seemed utterly frightening.

The school day went by quickly, with the same things happening over and over. I'd walk into a class and immediately be stared at. My teacher would introduce me and sign my paper, then direct me to my seat for the year. Finally, I'd sit utterly confused; observing the class until the bell rang signaling it time to move on or in this case to go on home.

Throughout the day, I didn't see Ryder but I do have him in two classes. At lunch, I'd scanned the cafeteria for a good ten minutes but never Leif eyes on him - which brought me to the conclusion that he'd gone home. Byanca observed me at lunch, catching me looking at the twins; Xander and Collin a few times buy of course I denied the accusations.

After a while she gave up and joined the chatter at the table when I snuck one last look. It fascinated me how much they looked alike and how they moved alike and gave off the same Badboy exterior. Their table was crowded with both boys and girls, everyone squished together - everyone but them. I must've looked to long because Xander - I think - raised his head and met my gaze a smirk taking over his features. I quickly banished my eyes to the table at that point, but still felt his gaze on me, hot on my face.

Now, I was out of that building and into the fresh air of the outdoors. The parking of the school was crowded with cars honking, trying to back out and students walking and talking. Teachers rushed to their cars, not caring about the chaotic sight before them, so I stopped caring too. I felt stiff though, like something was pulling me up and making me walk straight.

I could feel the heat of eyes on the back of my head and turned my head. Xander and Collin stood behind me with a few others, their eyes all locked on me as they made their fluid movements through the crowd. My eyes swept over them, taking note of the intensity of their eyes, because that's what scares me the most. Collin had the most intensity, it was like his bright yellow eyes were raging with fire, lava cording through them - wait, yellow eyes?

I focused on Collin's eyes, swearing that they'd been green with hazel flecks a while back. My eyes moved to Xander - yellow eyes, but I knew for a fact that he had green eyes with flecks earlier. I looked from face to face, they all had bright yellow eyes, electrified with light and intensity. I turned quickly, just as Collin was turning his head to meet my gaze, I couldn't let them know I's been staring.