chapter five - the first deal

|chapter five - the first deal|

_____________________

I DIDN'T SLEEP VERY WELL THAT NIGHT. I didn't sleep well at all actually.

This past month has been a continuous cycle of non-stop tossing and turning. My tired eyes wide open and my bed sheets tangled. My brain constantly set on high 'creep alert' ever since the new-found discovery of my friend. I can't forget about the endless nights of staring into the black space which haunted me. I was basking in the sounds of white noise. I had to tell myself that the piercing gaze I felt on my body, watching my every move was only my imagination. I knew that the goosebumps on my skin were because of the wind and not because of my body's reaction to Xaleb.

Ever since my encounters with the so-called Xaleb, he's pretty much managed to make my life a living hell. That is, in the couple weeks he's been showing up. His unexpected appearances and requests have already made me ten times more cautious than I normally am.

My morning started off with me wide awake, (as usual) and eating a bowl of cereal silently with Sky. School was canceled because the teachers needed to have some 'extremely important meeting'. Well, that's what my father had told me, but I honestly don't think that's what it was. My school hasn't cancelled a day in many years, so it's odd for them to cancel on such a short notice.

"Sky, is Sarah coming to pick you up?" My father asked my sister who seemed to be paying no attention.

She nodded and grumbled a 'yes' through a mouthful of milk. I rolled my eyes at her unmannerly response.

"Dear, please don't speak with your mouth full, it's rude," my father scolded her.

Sky opened her mouth wider and continued to talk with milking spilling from the edges of her lips. My father groaned impatiently. I listened to the two of them bicker for a little while longer, until I just zoned out and focused on my already mushy cereal.

"I'm full," I said and stood up.

They both looked up at me. "You didn't finish your breakfast, Malia."

"I know," I said walking to the sink. "I'm not hungry anymore."

I heard a chair scrape and hesitantly kept my head down until I was finished washing my bowl. A hand was placed on my shoulder and I looked up into the honey coloured eyes of my father. He had a long look on his face and the bags under his eyes were showing from the lack of sleep.

"Malia, I'd like to speak to you once Sky leaves for school alright?"

I nodded my head grimly and placed my hand on top of his. My father gently squeezed his hand and I squeezed back letting him know that I'm okay.

"I'm going to go check on mom," I said.

My father removed his hand and ushered me to go. I said a quick goodbye to Sky once she left with Sarah for school.

I started walking to the hallway near my parent's room, smiling at the pictures hung on the wall. The smell of rubbing alcohol and dust made it's way into my nose and had me frowning. I stopped in front of the closed door and closed my eyes, remembering back to the time not too long ago when I was in the same position.

My hand gripped the doorknob longer than it should've.

My foot made contact with the floor as I walked towards my mother. I smiled at her when I saw she was sitting up in the bed, looking much healthier than the last time.

"Hi, mom" I said.

My mother smiled back in return, her green eyes shining.

"Good morning, Malia. I was just wondering when you were going to come in."